doula and midwife

is tehre a difference between a doula and a midwife?

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• doula is more for moral support. mid wife will do prenatal care and deliver the baby.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes. A doula is a support person to help advocate for you during birth. A midwife is a trained professional who has gone through a lot of training in the birthing process to help you give birth to your baby . In most states you have to have a bachelors or masters degree in nursing and addtional training in midwifery. A midwife replaces a doctor..a doula is there as an added support. Midwives will be with you throughout your labor and come at it with more of an empowering approach to support you, an OB will be there for the pushing only. Make sense?
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had a Douala with my 2 second & last baby. She was there for anything I or DH needed.She filmed me giving birth to my daughter so DH could force on me and the baby. I had my daughter when we lived in Hawaii and there the only people allowed in the  OR with me was DH & your Douala. ( I had to get a c-section, yes I have it on film with my doctor pulling her out of my "gut"). I got lucky, my Douala needed a few more hours with the experience of a c-section so I didn't have to pay her anything. ( I didn't pay anything w/ doctor visits , C-section,hospital,etc  because I had 2 types of good insurance.what one didn't pay the other one did)

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• There is a definite difference and yet there are many similarities. The difference has been explained. A doula is mainly labor support. A midwife is a care provider and is trained in childbirth and capable of handling most emergencies.

They are similar in the aspect that they are knowledgeable and supportive of natural birth and natural pain relief. In my experience a midwife is really a midwife/doula. They are there in case of emergency, yes, but they also know how to help a mother relax and deal with/ overcome obstacles.

Women have been helping women birth for thousands of years. It only seemed natural for me to have other women there supporting me along with my husband. I share a strong bond with my midwives who were also doulas because they do more than just "deliver", they supported me through the whole process.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2010