What is the difference between a Methodist and a Catholic?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Methodists only recognize 5 sacraments instead of 7 (confession and last rights, I believe, being the two they don't recognize, if I remember correctly) , they don't hold Mary to be a perpetual virgin (at least not my Methodist church, as far as I'm aware) or give her the amount of recognition seen in the Catholic church. Methodism doesn't participate in confession to priests (which is one of the sacraments they reject, I think), their pastors aren't called Father like priests are, There are more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head before my coffee, lol.

Catholic services (or Masses) tend to be more elaborate than Protestant ones (at least from what I remember from our time in the Catholic church when I was younger and comparing that to the Methodist church I've spent the last 10+ years in, lol...).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In my town... About a block and a half... lol!

Honestly, I don't know... I am pretty sure that (like most Christian religions) Methodist is an offshoot of Catholic... So they are most likely more alike than different - which is usually the case anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Each church has it's own rituals and interpretation of the bible. This is a great site about specifics of every religion. http://www.religioustolerance.org/var_rel.htm
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Methodist's do confirmation instead of catechism, don't do first communion, don't believe in purgatory. I am Methodist, and those are just a few of the things I can think of. Oh, and istead of having crucifixes will typically have crosses with the fire around them (signifying the Holy Ghost).
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The hymns they sing?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've only been to a few Methodist churches, but I think that a lot of them are getting more evangelical these days (which is a good thing, IMO). We went to a Lutheran church for a while, and I think that is a lot more similar to Catholic. They even had the same readings every week.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010