I need quick meal ideas

My SO gets out of work at 4:30. I have to pick him up because at the moment we are a 1 car family. I have to be on the road by 5:30 to go to school, and we usually get back from pickin ghim up around 4:45. That gives me 45 min to make, and eat dinner before I leave. Any suggestions on what I can do to make meal time a little easier?

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 3:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The crock pot is a good idea...so are roasts. Also, you can do a lot before hand, and just heat it once you get back from picking him up. For example, cook the taco meat, do all the prep, and stash it in the fridge. When you get home, just heat up the shells and meat, and you're good to go.

There are a lot of dishes (chicken, turkey, casseroles, etc) that you can leave in a low oven or electric skillet while you pick him up as well. For example, on my blog there are recipes for pork cutlets and for swiss steaks (http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com) and both of these can be done in an elect. skillet, then left on low while you pick him up. When he gets there all you'd need to do is the veggies. You can either used instant mashed (Yukon gold are good) or make ahead.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Sounds like a crock pot could make your life easier.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 3:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I agree, a Crock pot would help a lot! Or, make something that goes in the oven, and let it cook while you go pick up your SO.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Make breakfast foods... pancakes, eggs, waffles, etc
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008