Kindergarten...

so my dd started kindergarten today, she loved it! but there was one little girl who while the parents were still there she was just bawling! (poor thing) to make matters worse her mom was bawling right along with her! i get being sad, (some people are sensative like that) but if your kid is already upset, don't make it worse by crying infront of her. my dd said the girl cried ALL day. would you have let her stay in the classroom if you were the teacher? it's not a half day class. they actually are there from 8-1:20, with a lunch time. how traumatized do you think this poor girl will be after being left there to cry all day? personally, i think after a while, they would have called her mom, i understand keeping her for a while to see if she would calm down. but with no end in sight, i would have called mom. maybe the girl just isn't ready? she was still there, crying when we picked my dd up.

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's just awful.....there's no way I would have let that girl sit there and cry for 6 HOURS!!! I would have least brought her to the main office or nurse to try to get her to calm down, or get the school pyschologist to try to talk to her alone.
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i know in my district (im a kindergarten teacher btw) that parents have to leave the room before class starts unless they are observing class. But yes i would let the child stay they are there to learn
    crouchingmommy

Answer by crouchingmommy at 1:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I understand our point but at the same time I think the teacher knew that it was going to be hard today, tomorrow and any day so the sooner she gets use to it the better. I'm not gonna lie but I will prob cry with and without my daughter when I take them to school in 2 weeks. I'm not gonna make a scene but I am extremely close to my children, They have only spent one night away from me since they were born other then when I was on bed rest at the hospital. My husband and I have always been the ones to watch our children, so it's gonna be pretty tough.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• JoLee12345, LEGALLY in California a child does NOT have to attend Kindergarten!

Parents and guardians are currently not required to enroll children in kindergarten (EC Section 48200).
    In California children between six and eighteen years of age are subject to compulsory full-time education (Education Code [EC] Section 48200).
    You may know what a FULL DAY is, BUT maybe YOU should LEARN what the educational law is before getting snipping and spouting off.

MKsGrammie

Answer by MKsGrammie at 12:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i am not trying to be rude and judgemental...this little girl was not just crying, she was absolutely hysterical! it was sad to watch, and she was like that all day. i am in cali, and MKsGrammie is right about the cali. laws. the 8-1:20 is a long day in these schools. most kindergarten classes in this town, and i know people who's kids are in these schools, go to class for 4 hours. and come home for lunch. my dd kindergarten class is only 1 hour shorter than the rest of the school. i think to a point, you let the girl stay...when she is sobbing and disturbing the other children then something needs to be done, whether she is talked to privately to try to calm her, whatever. but something should have been done instead of letting her be freaked out and possibly traumatized. kids get scared, but forcing them to stay in a situation, that obviously, she wasn't ready for. allowing her to "scream" all day is just wrong!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• and i think it is fine to be upset, but when your child is upset don't you think it would be more comforting for the child if her mother didn't show her that she was just as upset?! that's all i'm saying! i am not being judgemental.
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• That is half day, militart children do full day 8-3:15, and no you cant make her leave, legally she has to attend Kindergarten! And as far as the mom goes, i think it is more than okay that she was upset about her child being so upset! You are very judgemental! And please learn what a full day means! Our Pre-K class is from 8-12:16, and then PM is 12:20-3:15. That my dear is 1/2 day!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010