Should the "C" stay in YMCA?

Last month, the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) unveiled a new brand strategy to address America's needs, as well as a name change to "the Y." After surveying "a cross section of Americans to learn more about the most pressing issues and challenges facing their communities today," the Y had found that only 51% of Americans were optimistic about the future while 49% were not.

"This is a very important, exciting time for the Y," said Neil Nicoll, president and CEO of YMCA of the USA. "For 160 years, we've focused on changing lives for the better… . People are concerned about the problems facing their communities. Like the Y, they understand that lasting change will only come about if we work together to improve our health, strengthen our families and support our neighbors. Our hope is that more people will choose to engage with the Y."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well nowadays it seems like it's a crime to be a Christian. To have faith in your religion and try to preach the word of God is wrong. How sad.

But to answer the question, I think they should keep it. That is the name it was created with. People need to not take it so personal and just see it as a way to a better people thru a "spiritual life".
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't think so. It's what the organization was founded on, why screw with it. I think if everyone realized it's a name and went on with their own lives, this wouldn't really be an issue. Seriously, if this is all people have to do, well then, that's sad.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have not had any instances where any Christian agenda was pushed--there is an emphasis on creating and maintaining a friendly, welcoming, and respectful atmosphere, but nothing that denotes an obvious religious overtone.

I suspect this is a regional issue. Our local Y complex still serves as a shelter and mission, not just a rec center.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The best thing about the YMCA is the Homage' to the GAYS by the Village People! : )

If they want to change the name, who cares?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:00 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Re-branding has been really successful for some community based organizations. The girl scouts re-branded a few years ago and thier membership expolded.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We don't belong to the Y anymore either. I felt it cost too much for the services we were using. If we want to use a service we just pay the non-member fee.

I think it is sad when an organization like the YMCA feels it needs to make core changes for a small % of the population.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Since it is a private organization and not a governmental organization, they can change their name to whatever they want. Most people who do attend/belong (I have a membership--great yoga classes!) call it the Y--changing the name seems to be more of a reflection of a habitual shortening of the title already. I have not had any instances where any Christian agenda was pushed--there is an emphasis on creating and maintaining a friendly, welcoming, and respectful atmosphere, but nothing that denotes an obvious religious overtone. As society has changed, so has the mission and approach of many private organizations. This is just another example of that. I do know that when I am twisting myself into a pretzel--some of my thoughts are decidedly unchristian! LOL

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

I love to spell MACY when the song is played at baseball games and such--it confuses the heck out of people!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I suspect this is a regional issue. Our local Y complex still serves as a shelter and mission, not just a rec center.

But offering an outreach program is not the same as prosthelytizing.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• But offering an outreach program is not the same as prosthelytizing.

Running a mission is exactly the same as proselytizing
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010