how can i get my child open to other children and play with them

my child is very smart , but i'm concerned about one thing , it takes him time to get used to people around him , if we are in a party or vvisiting somebody , he keeps on attaching to us , we have to cary him most of the time , all the kids would be playing , but when i ask him if he want to join them he say no , nothing can make him change his mind , he crys he want us to carry him , even though i see him looking at the other kids , like he is watching them , but don't know why he doesn't want to play with them , when he is in good mood ,or when he get used to were we he plays and jump ,it takes him time .what should i do about theat and do u see this in kids his age , it kills me seeing him sitting in my lap , and all the kids are playing together , please let me know what should i do ,thank you sil

sil1

Asked by sil1 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him be himself. Right now, he needs to know that you will be there for him so be there for him. Some kids just need more comfort and reassurance from their parents. Once he knows that you (1) accept him for who he is and (2) will always be nearby when he needs you, he will venture out to play. I'd also suggest sitting on the floor - a little way from the other kids - and play with him yourself. Yes, you want to sit and talk to the other moms. That's not what he needs you to do. Go play with him and let him know that it's OK to do your own thing while watching the other kids do theirs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2008