What do you think about 10% ties and offering?

I was born and raised catholic, I made the decision that I was not very comfortable with alot of there beliefs and am now Christian. I have heard different things from different people about the 10% ties and offering. I saw in the bible that Jesus was actually mad when he went into the house of his father and priests and pastors were making money in the house of his father, also that the word of God has not price and pastors and priest should not be paid for such due. Jesus would not charge and never charged for the word of God, Also that God doesn't put a specific on anything, like no one knew when Jesus was going to be born exactly, people still don't know. and its not confirmed in the bible or anywhere else. So to put a specific amount and what you should give the church is not correct. If you wanna give back it should be what you want not what they require. So is this true/false?! whats your take on it?!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 2:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you should decide if and how much you want to give.  Any church that would tell someone that their gift is the wrong amount isn't a place I'd be going to.  I personally don't believe in tithing. Donations are determined by the giver not the receiver.

QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I was a single parent and gave what i could and you know what? when the hardships came into my life the church was threre to rescue me...so it is like I gave to them and they gave back ....way more then I ever expected...there is no set amount on what to give, it is what is in your heart and in your heart you mean to be giving and God knows that...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Ditto on what QuillingDiva said...
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• when i get back on my feet financially and am able to ill def give an amnt to my church. As of right now i cant and i know God understands that. Even if there isnt a price on religion i like knowing im helping my religion to further the word of God. Im all for it!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i was raised catholic and didn't believe in it either. I really never understood the offerings and tithes. but as i came to adulthood i came into islam and a huge part of our religion is to give in charity and charity can be money, gifts, a favor, a smile or picking up something off the street. In islam we also have a mandatory giving called Zakat. this is a percent of your money that you have saved for upto a year after having paid all of your bills. this is usally 2% of it. it only becomes mandatory on savings .. not on your salary.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• @aasiyah....can ask why?! what do they use the money for? and why is it mandatory?
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 5:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• There three ways to give. Time, Talent and Treasure. Notice that treasure is last. If you can"t give the complete tithe then you give with time. such taking an hour or so out of your week to help clean. Or cook a dish for a funeral dinner. Or cook extra and make a plate for the Priest. Then there 's the talent . If you can sew help to keep the Alter, alter boys and Priest garments in shape. Sing be a canter or member of the Choir. There are many things that we can do to help keep the cost down in the church so we don't have to pay someone do them.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Religion is big business and they have to make a profit.  You got to hand it to them though, it's pretty clever!  No warranties, no refunds and they are still coining it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Paul accepted money for his preaching, even though he never "charged" for his preaching. So paying preachers is scriptural. And preachers have to eat, too.

In the New Testament, we are told to give as we have been prospered. There is no rule about any set amount. Tithing comes from the Old Testament. The Israelites were told to give 10% of everything they earned or grew to the priests (the house of Levi) because they had no other source of survival. In the NT, we are told to give with a cheerful heart, not grudgingly, because God loves a cheerful giver. And we can give of our time and our talents, as has been mentioned already.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• the word "tithe" means 10%!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2010