what are some ways to ease contractions ?

cutieroxy247

Asked by cutieroxy247 at 3:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• take a warm/hot shower. That's what I did when it was Braxton Hicks and it would help. (When it was REAL labor, it didn't help at all and that's when I knew i was going into labor - LOL!)
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• A birthing tub, walk a little and then sit in a rocker and rock a little. Contractions hurt, but walk and rock and showers/birthing tubs help keep you relaxed and dilated faster. Laying on your back in bed is the worst possible thing you can do.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sometimes you have to try several things to find what works at that point in time. Tubs and showers are great, a birth ball, hands and knees, squatting are all known to help. With my last I had to keep walking, when I tried any of the previous mentioned I hurt but if I kept walking I was fine and feeling good.

Once transition hits and the contractions get really intense the most important thing is to stay relaxed. I have heard good things about hypnobirthing and the bradley method. I do yoga and my yoga has taught me how to relax my muscles and breathe. I used those techniques to focus and relax.

Another thing that can make pain worse is fear or mom being uncomfortable. So make your situation and surroundings comfortable for you, from your clothes to the people around you. Don't fear the pain, embrace it and go with it.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Music helped with mine - I had some of my favorite tunes and it helped me calm down. Also - I ended up watching a movie when I was in labor with my first son and having something else to concentrate on helped.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2010