How do i keep from killing him?

Ok seriously not really killing him but you have been there probably. My son is 2 and does not listen to a damn thing I say. I am constantly sending him to his room for timeout. He wont eat when i tell him to, He wont go potty when i tell him to(knows how to use the potty), He takes toys from his younger sister and wont give them back. Wont leav things alone when i say to. I AM GOING OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like my boys be patient it gets better!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well, for the not eating, don't make him eat. Don't give him anything else though. He can eat what you offer, when you offer it or he can wait until the next scheduled meal or snack time. Don't make a big deal out of it, just say "OK" and let him go hungry.

When he takes a toy from his sister, tell him, "We do not take toys out of another child's hands. You can play with it when she puts it down." If he does not listen, repeat it and add "Since you can't play nicely, I'm putting one of your toys in time out." Then take one of his toys, put it in a bag, and put it away. Just keep calmly doing that.

Instead of sending him to his room (which is full of toys) for timeout, use a boring corner of a room or the middle of a toy-free room like the kitchen. Put a chair or special mat there for timeouts.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• he doesn't have toys in his room they have a play room that has all their toys in it.
    i've tried the hole corner thing and all he does is gets out and come over and hits me.
    putting him in his room is the only thing thats works even if just a little.
    Anonymous

• When you put him in time out, try sitting with him...this will insure he doesn't leave time out of his own accord, and it could give some bonding time, which he may very well need.

I agree with the previous poster about meals...don't make it a big deal or else it will just continue to be a power struggle.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't really have an answer for you, however I am going through the exact same thing. I have a 2 1/2 year old who is acting out. Today he choked me. I have tried everything. The time out worked for a little while, but now he just gets up when he wants... I keep putting him back and it seems to go on forever. Today I had to call for back up from an aunt because I felt the same way you do. I just joined this Cafemom site today and I could use other moms to talk to as well. It seems like ever since his little brother was born in July that I have a completely different boy. Not for the better.
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• How often do you praise him for what he is doing right? Are you constantly telling him he's doing something wrong?

Too much "no" and not enough "yes" isn't going to do anything but teach him to be bad if he wants attention... and goodness knows anyone with a toddler finds themselves slipping into that bad habit more often than not (hey, its hard to remember to tell them what a good job they are doing when they are doing exactly what they should...and its SO easy to catch them when they are being naughty)...

cont
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Don't bother telling him to do anything more than once or twice---instead bust out the old pack'n'play or the crib again and plop him in that for time-out. Tell him that if he is going to act like a baby, instead of a big boy, he gets treated like one. The meal thing is a great idea... As for the potty, use cloth pants with covers and let him sit in wet pants until he decides to go sit on the potty...if he DOES go on his own, reward him...if not, ignore him. I'm not a big believe in baby-proofing, but if there is stuff that attracts his attention and he wants it, he's going to go for it--make sure it is out of sight, and take it away rather than saying no--expecting a toddler to ignore something they want is like a pregnant woman ignoring a craving (and I just sent the hubby for chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream).
    thalassa

• I prasie him and punish him the same amoun i think the SO i think punishes him too much. Am i am having a new baby my SO would put him in the crib when he was "being a baby"bthen he started to climb in it when his sister was in it a try to hurt her. i dont want him to think it is ok to get in them with a new born in it.
    Anonymous

• Ah...is it a newborn thing then? New baby, and he is jealous?

That makes sense...are you able to spend much one on one time with him? Especially when baby isn't around?

I remember my mom going thru that with my brothers while I was in college...I used to have to take the baby so she could have "Andy time"...it helped a bit with the jealousy...

Another thing, is he actually trying to hurt the baby, or is he just not knowing how to be gentle?
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I spend time with him when she is napping. He loves books and puzzles. So we read and do puzzles or we go outside with daddy. And he used to actually hurt her but now he just tries to play with her and she ends up hurting him.she is a very mean 9m old little girl
    Anonymous