What are some ideas for Christmas gifts when you don't want to get the kids toys?

My boys have a whole playroom full of toys. I don't want to get them any more. I need some ideas of other things they would possibly enjoy.

3boymom

Asked by 3boymom at 6:47 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• take a trip.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Art/Craft supplies. Depending how old they are you can start their own toolbox. My 12 yo got his first tool kit when he was 5 from his papa and now that boy can fix anything. Also books and journals are great too.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• How old are your boys? I am trying to figure out this same thing, lol. My son is only 3 tho so it's a little tough. I would say, obviously clothes. But maybe like books, flash cards, things of that sort. Things that can be fun but still educational. Also, you could take some of your Christmas fund and have your boys buy gifts for other children that might not be able to get a Christmas. These were things I was thinking for myself. My son is a little young for it now but when he gets older, I def. want to instill the action of helping others. I was very poor growing up and know what it's like to live down that road. Salvation Army supplied our Christmas' many of years, and I am very thankful I am able to provide for my son to the max and him never experience anything close to that. If they don't need it, help another child that does, that's what I want to teach my son. :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• clothes with their favorite characters.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i am getting my son a nice keyboard with the keys that light up bc he likes music a lot
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I get my children various totoes & thermal lunch bags. Thirty One is a Faith based company. Check it out :)
    www.31bagsonline.com

Kahne
    www.31bagsonline.com
    Kahne

Answer by Kahne at 8:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We are talking about the same thing! We are leaning toward taking a family trip. I think we are going to get a map out and let each kid pick a destination, research what there is to do, then pick were we go. They would also get some smaller stuff at Chistmas, but the trip and spending money would be the big gft!
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• When my son was little, in the fall we would go through his playroom and he had to choose a bunch of toys to give away to charity and some to pass down to younger cousins. I also used to rotate his toys. I would put some up in the attic and then every couple of months swap them with others in his play room and he would get excited to play with them again. We live in New England and for the past 10 years or so my brother buys my son a season pass for lift tickets and my son loves that gift, although last Christmas he bought him an Audi A4 instead. LOL!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• tickets / memberships are AWESOME!!!
    Memberships is a great gift that keeps giving all year long! And is valuable to the whole family.
    We always take dd to see elmo every feb. thats kinda christmas gift for her..
    This year we got my bff & her family a Zoo membership, which gave them the idea to ask for memberships for their twins bday.. Now they have about 5 memberships to all the stuff in our area (houston)..

Memberships are awesome if sometimes your family is on a tight budget. cause then you just need gas money to get there & pack a lunch... Free day of family entertainment!

Something for the car (if its not installed) like a portable movie player.
    movies. books. cool decor for their room.

good luck
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I buy my kids educational stuff- DVDs, paper, crayons, fingerpaints. They all have Leapsters, so I buy game cartridges for those. All those games are educational. Books they can read, or at least look at the pictures (My youngest kids are three and almost 2 at Christmas time).
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2010