How do I get him to stop pulling on his penis?

My 4yr old is obsessed with tugging on his penis and making it big. He also likes to show it off when it is big. LOL, typical boy. Anyone have suggestions on how to get him to stop? I don't want to shame him or tell him it's wrong. I usually just say if you want to play with it, go to your room for privacy. I find it amusing, but also want to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand. Ooops, excuse the pun, lol.

greatmomto2

Asked by greatmomto2 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL i think thats so funny and cute sorry cant help but i had a friend his son would do that he stopped when he did it in public one day and got embarrassed
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just tell him no, not out here, penises stay in their bedroom or the bathroom.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It isn't about telling him is wrong, it is about telling him that there is a time and a place and that there is also a limit to time. You don't want him to be obsessed to the point of pulling it out in public.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Haha omg, my 3 year old does the same!! We just told him over and over, it's not for people to see. You are not to be showing it to people. And we had to be a bit stern.

And I agree, I don't want him to be ashamed or think that having one is a bad thing, but at that age they have no business messing with it unless to use the potty, lol.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:14 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Tell him he might break it, then he'd have to go to the Dr. & get shots.

I would tell him it's ok to touch, but not pull or yank on.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have 2 boys - totally normal, but I always say that their penis is a private part of their body and we don't touch it in public. You're just trying to establish boundaries around certain behaviours so keep it low key (just like swearing, laughing about it will just encourage them to do it...) Please don't tell him he will break it or will have to get shots from the Doctor - you'll just make him afraid of his own body and the Doctor. And masturbation in preschoolers is also totally normal, folks. All you need to help him learn is some boundaries - when it is not appropriate to touch or show himself and when it is. Good luck.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 7:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I tell my son there are two places he can touch himself. His bedroom and the bathroom. He has to do it alone in privacy. I then start to tell him how noone can touch him except mommy and daddy with his permission to help at bathtime and potty time. And the doctor only when mommy and daddy are there because doctors have to check our whole bodies. And then I tell him he is not allowed to touch anyone there. So far he's doing really well not doing it in front of others.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• How do you handle a kid that just pinches it through their clothes?
    A kid i babysit 4yo just got potty trained.. now he just walks around touching it (no flashing though)..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i think just tell him not to that except in the bathroom/his bedroom. that way he will come to know that it's not appropriate and won't be doing it when he's 8. my son is 3 and he will pull out his penis and put stuff on it, like his little iron man's helmet, juice lid, etc! i'll just say please don't put that on your pee pee. and then go wash whatever it was! lol
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We do discuss how that is for private time, and if he needs some private time he needs to excuse himself to his room.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010