Yes..another breast feeding question. adult content

If you do bf do you honestly take top notch care of your body the way you should? Do you eat right? No drugs, smoke, alcohol? would you admit if you did. ...and if you did decide to have a drink, smoke, or eat dbl cheeseburgers all week what do you plan to do so that you don't "poison" your baby. Yes..breast milk can "poinson" babies. Some seem to think formula does but actually a baby died recently from drinking her crack head mothers breast milk. So, i would like to know who takes top notch care of their body..if you do kudos to you. Is there anyone that will admit that they don't? I know lots of bfing moms who don't.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• well them moms no offense shouldn't be mothers anyways then if they are smoking,doing drugs and drinking while taking care of a small baby/breastfeeding anyways IMO, i mean a cheeseburger here and there ok fine, but the three other things... really they shouldn't have even become a parent then!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I did take "top notch" care of my body when i was breastfeeding. I kept taking the prenatal meds for the whole 2 years i was BF. I have always been very health conscious though. There were a few times i had a cocktail, but my Dr. said that it was fine as long as i don't get drunk, which i never did. He said alcohol will leave the body as it is metabolized and that there is little storage space in the breast, most of the breast milk is made from the blood as it is called for by the baby. The level of alcohol in the breast milk is more closely related to the level of alcohol in the blood WHILE breastfeeding, rather than the level of alcohol the mother consumed overall. So, as long as i wasn't drinking WHILE breastfeeding, all was perfectly fine.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Actually, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs while not pregnant or nursing...So, yeah, I did take good care of myself. I ate somewhat healthy. Maybe not every food was top notch, but, 90% was.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Breastmilk is usually best. Obviously if you're smoking crack, you're not fit to be a parent - let alone breastfeed.
    You do NOT need a perfect diet to breastfeed. Our bodies were designed to nourish our babies, even in times of famine. Your body might suffer though if you're not eating at all, because just like during pregnancy, our body will rob itself of nutrients to make sure baby doesn't go without.
    Smoking- Any medical organization will tell you that a breastfed baby of a smoking mother is still MUCH better off than a formula fed baby of a smoker. Breast milk offers protection against illness and several respiratory issues.
    Drinking is fine in moderation. One drink right after you nurse, and by the time baby is ready to eat again - there will be no alcohol in your milk. No pumping required. As it leaves your bloodstream, it leaves your milk. If you're too drunk to breastfeed, you should not be caring for an infant.
    Randi02

Answer by Randi02 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Did you miss the part that states EVEN WITH ALL OF THE NEGATIVE IT IS STILL BETTER TO BREASTFEED THEN TO FORMULA FEED!!!?????

Of course smoking is bad & should never happen no matter if you are a mother or not but the fact still remains that if a mother smokes it is still better to breastfeed then formula feed. It provides immunities to the negatives that will be affecting that child's life by the parent smoking. You can argue til you are blue in the face but the facts still remain the same BREASTFEEDING IS BETTER THEN FORMULA EVEN IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Just because a baby died due to having a crackhead mother (which is the ultimate reason) does not mean that a mother that breastfeeds and has a drink, or a smoke, or a less then stellar diet is equatable. Breastfeeding while having a drink or 2 or a smoke or 2 or a cheeseburger once a week is still better then feeding formula. If a mother is an alcoholic or a drug addict then that child should NEVER be breastfed let alone be with that mother.

The bottom line ... even if a mother has a drink or smokes or eats cheeseburgers that breastmilk is still better then any formula.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Check out Kellymom.com to answer your questions regarding breastfeeding & smoking & drinking. Illegal drugs are NEVER ok.

"Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers." ~ Dr Jack Newman This thought can also be carried through for smoking. Is it a good idea to smoke or drink while breastfeeding? NO! But if it is the difference between the decision to breastfeed or not because someone wants to continue to drink and smoke (in moderation) then the choice should be clear to breastfeed. By adding this unnecessary constraints and calling people "selfish" you are turning away others that could potential be giving their child a much better life by breastfeeding & .... then using formula.I am a proud breastfeeding advocate that never wants to turn mothers away from breastfeeding with false information!  Breastmilk even when a mother smokes/drinks is better then formula.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• So even if the mother drinks and smokes that is still better than formula? Seriously? Um, not one bit of that sounds right. Now I've heard it all.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• By you not knowing what kellymom.com is shows your lack of knowledge of breastfeeding. It is not a "mom's opinion". You obviously did not check out the links at the bottom of the article because it links every study done on smoking / alcohol and breastfeeding (including the AAP). If you don't like kellymom.com check out the AAP, Dr, Hale's bible on medicines and the like, LLL ..... the lists continue. The FACT still remains that breastmilk is still better then formula for those who breastfeed and smoke or drink in moderation.

Again I ask you to find a reputable study that shows anything different then the facts that have been shown to you. I am sorry that you can not realize that what you are looking at is FACTUAL information and I am sure no one on the internet can convince you otherwise so please pick up a book the next time you go to the library or speak with a IBCLC in person.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• any drug? what about PRESCRIBED pain management for a C-section? not all drugs are detrimental to take while breastfeeding.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2010