Do you think the unemployment extension de-motivates the unemployed from finding a job?

Doesn't the extension add to the already out of control deficit?

Shouldn't 6 months should be plenty of time to find another job?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is plenty of time. I have no issue with it getting extended if they require them to prove they were actually looking for jobs regularly as well. Some people are not getting hired and that is understandable. But some just give up and that should not be acceptable.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• Yes. Yes. And yes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:14 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i didnt know about that. Yeah, i think 6 months should be long enough though. If they are going to prolong it they should make you get work through temp. agencies to show you are atleast trying.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Letting those tax cuts for the wealthiest expire will save the country $40 billion next year, and $676 billion over 10 years

You can't honestly believe that if more tax money comes in Obama won't find a dozen new ways to spend it faster than he collects it, can you?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• While this thread has kinda got off track....people are forgetting one important thing... this nation cannot recover if people are not working and its hard to work when this country doesn't make things anymore. So much of the manufacturing and industrial blue collar jobs have been shipped overseas, to Mexico and even Canada. This country was built on the backs of blue collar workers. It is middle class America that keeps this country going. The housing industry can't recover because people who don't have jobs can't get mortgages, the retail sector can't recover because people who don't have jobs can't afford to spend any money. I live in a region built on cars and steel. The local government never looked ahead to what life might be like when there were no more cars or steel made here. They never planned for the future and now it is a wasteland....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, 6 months is not long enough when we are experiencing cyclical unemployment instead of only structural and/or frictional unemployment. Unfortunately, the answers to these questions usually demonstrate that way too many people in this country don't understand economics or the difference between cyclical and natural unemployment, which is why they can't wrap their heads around the fact that you can't snap your fingers and make jobs appear for all the unemployed. We are at 10% unemployment and near 20% real unemployment, which includes those who do not qualify for a check. That is the kind of u/e that is a direct result of a recessionary economy, not laziness or people being too picky. Laziness and pickiness are symptoms of structural and frictional, not cyclical. You want to know what is de-motivating people? That there are no damn jobs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i agree. something is better than nothing.. taco bell is always hiring
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• While you would think that 6 months is plenty of time, where I live our economy has been devastated and our unemployment rate is much higher than the national average. We have lost so many jobs here that when a company advertises for a job opening, thousands of people show up. I have so many friends that have lost their jobs and no one is hiring. My kids couldn't even find summer jobs, because they were competing with people my age for those low paying jobs. My husband opted to stay with the company he worked for, for a decade, even though they took away his overtime and cut him to 4 days for the past two years. Our income was cut in half, but had he quit there was no way he was going to find a job. My neighbor has been on 56 interviews and has yet to get a call back. She hopes she finds a job before she loses her house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think for some people yes, but my husband has been looking for a job nearly every day since he lost in it Feb, and has not had one call back. He's applied everywhere from other construction companies, to retail stores to McDonalds and Walmart. We have a 13% unemployment rate in our county and it doesn't look like it's getting any better. So no, I guess 6 months isn't always long enough to find a job. You should see the lines of literally thousands of people who come whenever there is a job fair around here. I don't think for most people it's a lack of trying to get a job.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, that and the simple thing that we are in such a recession is causing people to stop looking. It just gets so depressing to look and look and continue to hit walls. This administration is making sure we have a jobless recovery and they don't seem a bit worried about it. The Libs figure that if they can keep giving the goodies then they will come out smelling like a rose as well as further their agenda.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010