How do I make DH get a clue about High Schools?

My SD has been talking about coming to live with us. DH keeps making promises he can't keep. For some reason, he and she both want her to go to a particular HS that is not offered to us. He thinks the No Child Left Behind Act means we can choose any school we want, if our's doesn't offer something. We have the option of 4 schools. One of which is ranked 23/179 in the state. The one they want is 20 schools below this one. I can't quite understand this. One has a gymnastics team, but she is not planning to join the HS team anyway. His parents say we can use their address to send her to the #43 school. But guess who's going to be responsible for driving her there? Me, when we have perfectly good bussing to the better school. Plus my son's school is right down the road. So I will have to get her to a farther school earlier and come back for him to go to school, then go back past her school for work. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't try to illegally get her into a different school. Fill out all the paperwork correctly and allow them to find out what the options are. There's no reason for you to be the bad guy, saying "no that can't happen". Let the school district break the bad news. It'll be good practice for her to learn how to handle it when things don't go just the way we want them and a good lesson for Dad to not make ill-informed promises that he can't fulfill.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• tell him that if he is so dead set on her going to that school then he has to drive her there himself because that's just ridiculous for you to do all that driving when the better school offers bus service.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You will have to get her to a farther school? No, I don't think so. That would be your CHOICE, not something you'll HAVE to do.
    Just like it would be a choice to attempt to use a false address to enter a school that is not open to her (better think about the lesson that teaches before doing that!)
    You can't "make" someone get a clue. Let him learn the hard way. Won't hurt either of them.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'd tell him I'm not taking her but then that's just me. Let him find her a way there.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i would say its your decision. does she have friends that go to that other school or something. If she doesnt know anyone why would it make a difference?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Nope, no friends, really. She knows one girl that goes to the other school, but they haven't been in contact for over a year. My DH went to that school, which is the only reason I can think of. But they screwed him over and told him he didn't have enough credits to graduate, after it was too late and had to do another year. Granted, they built a new school, and its beautiful, but its HUGE. It combines 3 different towns. I would prefer the smaller, better school with lower student to teacher ratios. I really think it's some rediculous thing..... oh my daddy went there, so I want to go there garbage. I keep telling DH he's counting his chickens too soon anyway. She wants to stay with her mom (with a step-dad she hates) for another year, until her school breaks apart and all her friends are going to the other school.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Me personally would take the kid to whichever school they wanted to attend. Not to please...but just to get the kid thru school adjusted and happy. That's just me tho. I have 3 step kids..they are all grown now. But, I have done it. =)
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 9:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would simply put my foot down... There is NO reason she can't attend the local school. The education is just as good (or better) where you are and you shouldn't be forced to play taxi every day just to send her somewhere else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Funny, if this was The BM asking this... 'some' people would jump at the chance to bash the step mom on why she isn't doing this for the kids.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 2:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would want my child to go to the best school possible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010