Do you have 2 young children that share a room? How do you get them to go to sleep?

My 6 and 4 yr old boys share a room and we put them to bed at 8pm. My 6 yr old has to get on the bus at 6am so he is up by 5am but our 4 yr old doesnt have to be up till 6:30am and at school by 7:30am. We cannot get them to actually go to sleep till almost 10!!! Any suggestions?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would tell them at 8:00 that they don't have to go to sleep, but they do have to remain quiet. If you hear them, then you will need to discipline for disobedience(not for making noise). This has more to do with your authority as parents than it does about going to sleep. You can't force anyone to go to sleep, and in truth, I can't even make myself go to sleep, but I can train myself to be quiet and considerate of other people in the house. This is the approach that I would take. Part of living in a home as a member of a family is the necessity to learn to be quiet and respectful of the other members of the family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• To answer your question, I couldn't get mine to sleep, and that's why they don't share a room anymore, lol...........
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Our friends have this situation with their two girls. The rule is they MUST stay in their bed unless they need to go to the bathroom. One is a chatterbox and plays with her stuffed toys. The other falls asleep very easily and is usually out like a light within minutes. Sorry, this really isn't much help to you. One idea would be to read a bunch of books to them to get them to settle down. That worked with my boys.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My boys have shared a room from the time that the younger one was born. They've always been told that when I pull the door part way closed that they are not allowed to make any more noise, if they do I take their animals from them that they sleep with.....that only happened one time!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Is this every night they go to bed at 10pm? I would make sure the room was pitch black (so hopefully they wouldn't get out of bed to play) and I would close the door. I would just hope they fell asleep before 10. I would explain to them as well before bedtime, that if I heard any noise coming out of that room, I'd be taking away toys the next day.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well we put them to bed at 8 but they dont fall asleep till almost 10, we arent putting them to bed at 10.... I think we will try reading to them until they are no longer chatter boxes or still energetic. They will start playing soccer soon so I am hoping that will help with this issue as well...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I haven't had to deal with that...YET. My 3 year old DD and my 7 month old DD share a room. my 3 year old goes to bed first then I nurse the baby and put her in her crib later. not sure how it's gonna work out when she's older...lol
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My youngest and the new baby will share a room-that's a great question...My oldest has her own room and will continue to have her own room...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

~~~I wish I had that option... we only have a 3 bdr house and 4 kids
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Is one boy causing more trouble then the other. You could try putting the difficult boy down first, and then 30 minutes later have the other go to bed.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2010