Am I the only one...

Seriously, am I the only mom who DOESN'T buy into the whole "accept your 'new body' and 'new curves' for what they are" bullshit? I work out like crazy to maintain my pre-pregnancy body (and i'm doing a damn good job) but my mom/aunts/some friends think it's something that I shouldn't worry about as much as I do b/c "it's gonna happen anyway." Am I nuts, or are they just lazy?

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I think it's all about moderation--we should choose to accept our bodies for the attributes that we simply have no control over, IE stretch marks, stretched out skin, a certain amount of extra curve we might have when we're a little older and have given birth. However, I think the popular movement of acceptance of FAT is dangerous and unhealthy. I'm not saying women who are overweight should hate themselves by any means--that doesn't help matters at all. But being obese is unhealthy, risky, and generally a very bad thing, both for the individual and the broader population (health insurance costs, etc) and the push for people to "accept" their unhealthy weights is not, in my opinion, going to help matters. People need to care enough about themselves and their overall well-being to not accept it, but to fight for better fitness and health, including being in a healthy weight range.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have lost over 400 pounds and people are always telling me that what my body looks like doesn't matter but it does. That is why I am 45 pounds away from my goal and I have started to train for Iron man. I work out every day and I am not going to accept it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree-I always lost all of my baby weight because I wasn't one of those "lazy" women who let themselves go.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You are not the only one and kudos to you for going for that body you once had it is attainable and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them I am 60 three grown kids, with a weight and a body of a much younger woman because of my weight lifting training on a daily basis, you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 8:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• honestly ~ I think that you can attain whatever "look" you are after. But at the same time, give yourself a break. Keep the goal in site, but understand that it might take a little bit to get there. After 5 kids ...and knowing now that there will be NO more ~ I am changing the way that I look at myself and realizing that I can have ANY body I want.....Good luck mama! Hope you reach your goals soon!!
    crzymmy5

Answer by crzymmy5 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I totally agree with vicesix!!

I do agree that sometimes women use their kids or status as a mom as an excuse to accept being fat. Yes, you have to work harder once you start to get older and have had children, but it is a labor of love.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I gained a little weight AFTER having my baby. That's when I decided to lose my preggo weight. I read that if you don't lose it within 6 months, then it's more likely to be there 5-10 years later still... but I don't care. She was 6 months old when I started losing weight. I ate healthier then I did while I was pregnant and I worked out everyday. I can say that I do go a month or so without working out sometimes, but I always get back on the wagon and start doing what I should because I'd really like to have a BMI of 22 at least once in my life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You just can't worry about what anyone else says. My family make remarks to me too, about my healthy eating. Mostly it's when we get together for a child's birthday or something, and I decline to have cake & ice cream, and they all start ribbing me, telling me how uptight I am and how I've "lost so much weight" that I should be able to indulge...well duh!!! How the hell do you guys think I've lost it?!? It sure wasn't by sitting around on my a$$ and eating cake, pizza, etc at these parties every weekend! Oh, the irony! I just brush them off and do what I need to do to stay focused on my commitments. They can worry about themselves, I'll take care of me. :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've always been plus size and loved my body.. I want to try to loose 50 pounds just to get healthier. But im never going to be skinny and im ok with that.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Wow! Sounds lik my family! They were always telling me I was too skinny, aneorexic in fact, but when thy saw me eat thy took it back. I bust my but everyday (running 5-6 miles/day and weight lifting). I refuse to give in. I eat super halthy (except on the weekends..lol) and drink 100oz water/day. I love when people think I'm 25 when I'm 35!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010