career decisions

as of right now, I'm a stay at home mom, but am seriously thinking about going back to school but I'm still not sure what proffession I should choose. I wanted to do a 1 year program for vocational nursing but read in another question tjeyregonna phase it out(?) so I'm questioningthat now. I want to do something that doesn't require too much school and will make decent money. I'm leaning towards something in the medical field. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well, you have the basic classes you have to take before going stright into your major. Why not just take some of them and then by the end, you hopefully know what you want to go into to. Good luck!
    momswithahope

Answer by momswithahope at 12:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am a Phlebotomist, and make decent money doing it. It required minimal schooling (100 hours in class/book work) and 50 hours of clinical (on site) training, and then passing the national test (easy!!) In my area the local colleges don't offer it, it is an HROP class (Humboldt Regional and Occupational Programs) maybe you have an ROP in your area?

(BTW Phlebotmists draw blood either for the blood bank, in a doctors office, or in a lab. I work in a lab at one of our local hospitals)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You could do Medical Transcription or be a CNA, these do not requier too much schooling.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I'm not sure where you live -- but here in Texas a lot of the Junior colleges and Community colleges have 2 year RN programs. RNs make over 50k, are in high demand, and usually have access to more flexible scheduling (nights, days, afternoons, etc). I have three in-laws that are nurses they generally work 3 12 hour shifts but then are off with their families for 4 days a week -- while making full time pay. It's a pretty nice option for Moms...
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It is nice you want to go back to school, but with a little one that could be tough. Have you considered a home based business? Feel free to visit my home page and email me or call me for more information.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Is Massage Therapy in demand in your area? If you have the ability to work some evenings and weekends to build up your clientele, you could make a full time living from this working 25- 30 hours a week. Check into the training in your state, every state is different. You will probably be required to go to school for a certain amount of hours (training is usually 6- 12 mo.) and pass a state exam. Massage therapists can work in chiropractic offices, hospitals, nursing homes, salons and spas. Not to mention, you will meet other therapists and be able to "trade" free massages!!

chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2008