My daughter is 3 months old and in her armpits it is very red and sometimes I will be able to wipe out white stuff and it smells any idea what this could be and should I be putting something on it?

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like a yeast infection. They can occur in creases when its moist for a long time. Try an over the counter antifungal cream (like for jock-itch). Lotrimin or even a little bit of monistat. Once it has cleared up try to keep the area dry. When you wash her, be sure to dry under the arms thoroughly and put a dusting of powder (don't use much or it will cake up.)
    RNMOMO4

Answer by RNMOMO4 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It sounds like a yeast infection to me too. My son had some redness and stuff around his diaper area.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Sounds like toe jam in the arm pit... lol
    Try using powder and make sure her clothes are not too tight. You may be overdressing her and causing her to sweat
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 4:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• this happened to my daughter and I think it was dried milk. I just cleaned it out and it went away. Sometimes the moisture in her chub rolls makes them red. Plus, she has reflux so she spits up all over herself all day long. If the redness gets bad, I put a little diaper rash cream on it and it goes away within a day.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• this happened to my dd, on her neck, and it still does..she had so many and has so many fat rolls it's hard to keep moisture out of there,...it happens with her arm pit too..just wash it everyday, and dry it too, and within a few days it should be gone, if not then try some diaper rash cream..:)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My twins used to get it on their necks. It's from moisture on the skin. Carefully wash the white stuff off and dry completely. You can also use baby powder to help clear it up.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My 2 month old had that on her neck so i took her to the doctor ad they gave me a cream i had to get at the pharmacy and it went away after like 3 days and if it has a smell they will tell you to get a anti fungal cream.
    1Lilly

Answer by 1Lilly at 6:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My son has it too. Armpits and neck. Mostly neck. Smells like cheese. Yukky! My doc said wash and dry thoroughly 2 times a day with aveeno baby wash and apply cornstarch based powder. Keeping it dry is the most important part.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• it's yeast or as my ped calls them 'hot spots.'
    my daughter would get them in her armpits sometimes and even one of the folds on her leg.
    keeping it dry is important but if it's smelly you might need to treat it with an OTC cream. i would check with your ped first.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Contact the doctor!
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2008