Am I doing something wrong?

My Dd is 15 months old and still wakes at night. She sleeps half the time in her crib and half the time in bed with us. It doesn't matter if she falls asleep in the crib or if I put her in there after she falls asleep, she still wakes up in the night. She usually goes right back to sleep if I move her to my bed. I sometimes feed her if she wakes up and she's already in my bed. She's never slept through the night, and has been teething almost stright since she was 6 months old. She has 12 teeth and is getting her canines now, so I know a lot of the night waking has been her teeth.
Do you think she'll sleep through the night when she's done teething? Will she ever?

I'm seriously considering giving my next child a bottle of formula before bed and for night wakings, not sure I can handle waking up all night long with another for this long!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 21 months old and has only recently begun sleeping through the night. If your dd sleeps better in bed with you why not start her there if it will help you get more sleep? If you are breastfeeding then when she wakes up you just pop her on and go back to sleep. Keep in mind how short of a time this really is that you get to be with your little one when they are this little. I know having your sleep disturbed is frustrating but try to focus on the extra time it gives you to be with her. The calmer you stay the easier she'll fall back asleep. If you start CIO now she'll feel as if you stopped caring and it may cause issues during the day, she may become very clingy and wake more frequently at night. She needs reassurance and love. They move through this phase and you'll have your nights back. My daughter just finished cutting her eye teeth so that very well may be the issue. *hugs* You are doing great!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:14 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Seems like she needs some cio.15 months is a bit much.If shes teething consider a teething necklace or oragel.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's a habit and as long as you let her do it she'll continue.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree w/ everything cassarah said!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My daughter did that, but my son slept through the night by the time he was 3 months old. My daughter would wake up and lose her pacifier and cry until we found it for her. One suggestion a doctor gave me was to give her a carby snack before bed time (even though one mama on here said that was obviously unhealthy, but it isn't), like a peanut butter sandwich and a little bit of milk. But then eventually we had to just stop coming in there every time she cried. She is 2 1/2 now, never wakes up at night. I agree with the second answer though, it probably is habit on her part.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 9:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• FF or BF has nothing to do with this. I've BF 3 children. You have to sleep train your toddler. You've taught her that if she wakes during the night that you'll bring her to your bed. So of course she's going to keep waking and demanding to go to bed with you. That's more pleasant than being in a dark room in her crib all along.

The two easiest ways to sleep train a baby that old are the long goodbye method and Ferber. The long goodbye is where you sit next to her crib until she falls asleep and move the chair back a little each night until you are at the door. Ferber is going in to soothe (no picking up unless they need a diaper change) with increasing intervals (go in the first time after 3 min, then 5, then 7, and so on until you get to 20 min and then go in every 20 min until they fall asleep.

Some babies will take a bottle of formula now and then and still nurse but many will not.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My first woke at least once per night, every night until he was 3. He grew out of it and yours will too. My second is a much better sleeper than his big brother was. I didn't do anything different really (that I know of) with #2 than I did with #1. They just have different personalities. Some kids have a harder time sleeping than others do. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• We love co-sleeping; it was easy to sleep/doze while my daughter nursed, we had the sweet snuggle-bunny with us, it was much less disruptive when she woke at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If you are considering using the Ferber method, research it first.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010