How deep do I sew sprouting apple seeds??? :-)

I had 1/2 an apple in a sandwidh bag in the fridge a bit too long, and the seeds started to sprout. 1 inch white sprouts.
I got some seed starter soil and planted them w/ just the tip sticking out of the ground. Put the pot in my kitchen window sil yesterday, and they have already gotten a bit bigger, so now I'm wondering if I should have planted them deeper? I don't want the fragile sprout to get too top heavy or even killed by the light (there is nothing green yet).

Should I put another inch of moist soil on top to shield them, or will that "strangle" them?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 9:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Why would you "sew" they. Won't the needle and thread ruin the seed?

Oh wiat...you meant SOW as in to plant or harvest
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, sorry...danish is my first language, not english. Thanks for the info :) (thought I could count on my google search window as a spell check...started writing "you reap what you" and it finished w/ the word "sew"....BAD google!
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• And btw it is "wait" not "wiat"....*giggle*....;-D
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'd leave the seedling go a bit and to see how it fares before trying anything else. Seedlings always look a bit scraggly when they start out anyway and this one has had a rougher start than most. It will probably green up in a few days as it spends more time in the sun and this should make it stronger, too. If it really looks like it's going to tumble over, you could put a toothpick or two next to it to provide it with some support until it gets sturdier.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Thanks mom2aspclboy, I'll wait and see how it fairs :)
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sow or sew?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• ...sow... :)
    Nynne

Comment by Nynne (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010