Snack time

I give my son(he is 2) a snack before bed. If he does not eat his dinner should I still give him the snack? I'm trying to teach him that if he doesn't eat when i feed him then he doesn't eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have been struggling with this too. I was so concerned about my son (21 months) going to bed hungry because he refused his dinner that I would offer him something else. But now I've put my foot down and dinner is dinner, and there are no other options. If he doesn't eat it, I assume he's not hungry enough. He never seems upset about going to bed hungry, and he's been eating his dinner more and more. It seems to be working! I think that giving them a snack after dinner or offering an alternative definitely does teach them that they don't have to eat what is being served. Good luck!
    hollierobin

Answer by hollierobin at 4:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If he doesn't eat dinner, then there shouldn't be a snack given after dinner. You are not a short order cook, and should not have to make multiple meals.

A child will not be harmed, by not having a snack.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I agree with MommaLucy...give the child a choice for dinner and then close the kitchen. Snacking is not good habit to pass down to little ones.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 4:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have 27 month old twin girls and believe me-once you start something it is hard to break but this is a that I think does need to come to a hault. Mine only get snacks in the evening between lunch and dinner. You shouldn't have to make extra food because he won't eat his dinner-your probably busy enough!
    aNdRiA570

Answer by aNdRiA570 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If youre trying to teach him to eat what you make then by giving him a snack, you are being contradictory in your teachings. He knows hes getting a snack, so why eat? I have 4 kids in my house and they eat what I make or its no food until breakfast. They usually find something on their plates to eat. Same goes for the 2 yr old. He regularly refuses dinner. Hes not a big eater though and can easily wait until breakfast. Teaching means sticking to the rules no matter how sorry you feel for him. He won't starve.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2008