What's the best way to transition a toddler out of a crib/into a toddler bed?

My son is 21 months and acts like he's ready to make the switch to his toddler bed, but every time I've tried letting him nap there, all he does is play in his room. He keeps saying, "I seep bed", but he has yet to SLEEP in the bed! Does it sound like he is not ready? How will I know when he really is?

hollierobin

Asked by hollierobin at 4:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son ended up sleeping on the floor, after we switched him to a baby bed. After a while, I guess he figured out that the bed was much more comfortable. We also put up a baby gate so that he could not get out and wonder around the house at night.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Have him lay in bed and read him a story if he is not tired enough lay with him for a little bit. I use to just lay in my daughters bed as uncomfortable it was because she wanted me to wait til she feel asleep. or put the toddler bed in your room and show him mommy sleeps in her big girl bed and he needs to sleep in his BIG boy bed.
    youngmommy1204

Answer by youngmommy1204 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• if you are using the same mattress and bedding it should be easier because he is familier with these thing already. My DD is 27 months and she is still in a crib. I have never had a problem with her climbing out. I know she can but she never has. She will be getting a big girl bed when we move in a few months. Good luck I know anything that involves change in a childs routine can be a struggle.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 6:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter is 19 months old and was sleeping in her toddler bed, but then we learned she could open her door and we're waiting until we get a new baby gate to put outside of it in case she does open it.. but any who.. We only put her in her toddler bed at night time and she still takes her naps in her crib. I also had to be more careful about bed time because if she really wasnt quite ready for bed she would just run around her room. Also the first 3-4 nights or so she did end up sleeping on her floor, but I would go move her to her bed once she was asleep.

So that's my opinion- start with only night time and make sure he's really ready to sleep for the night.
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 9:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008