What ever happened to giving girls a girl name and boys a boy name?

Maybe I am just more traditional when it comes to naming my children, but I do not understand this trend of naming Girls a boys name. Adding a "y" DOES NOT transform a traditional BOYS name into a girls name.

Do people really hate their kids that much?

Maureen-MD

Asked by Maureen-MD at 9:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Baby Names

• AGREED!!!! I HATE that people keep taking all of the nice boy names and using them for girls.... no name is safe. To me it says they either REALLY wanted a boy, and are disappointed they are having a girl... OR they are so unoriginal that they could only come up with one name, no matter the child's gender!
    I've met little girls name.... Hunter, Bryce, Kaden, Remington, Braxton, Tyler, Travis....... YUCK! There is NOTHING feminine about any of those names!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Whats your issue Maureen...you can name your kids WHATEVER you like, I will name mine. NOW, aren't you releaved you dont have to worry about my kids names anymore...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well would you ever consider naming a boy Kelly. Because in all reality it is a boys name. Also Ashley is a boys name also. There a whole list of other names that where boys names and now have become girl names.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 9:24 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't care what people name their kids. You believe they hate their kids because of a name those chose? Ridiculous.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I named my Dd Elliett. I love it :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I believe in giving a child a name that seems to fit their personality. If your girl seems like a Michael,I say go ahead and name her that. I'm all for unique names.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Have ever looked in a baby name book at origins? For almost every name you will find "blank is the female/male form of blank." I know a man named Ashley, named for his grandfather. You can't get much more 'traditional" than that. I think you are being willfully ignorant on the matter. Name your kids whatever you want but don't whine when you get called out on being judgmental and rude.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'm Leslie....that is a boy's name.

Morgan, Ashley, Kimberly, Lynn, Carrol...all boys names.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• There are a lot of Unisex names out there, yes. And other people who simply do give boys names to girls. And many names that were once boys names that are now commonly used as girls names.

I don't find this as distasteful as I find the completely made-up "unique" spellings. Often, it does not look "unique". It looks as if the parents do not know how to spell. Some of them are really outrageous and the child is then saddled with this.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well, could you PLEASE make me a list of names you find appealing for my baby? Since we all care about your likes and dislikes.

This is what is annoying about some people, when they THINK others are care what they think.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010