My 2 yr old son is super whiny. Help.

He is constantly whiny. He cries over everything (drops a toy, whines; wants water, whines; sister yells, he whines, etc) and screams and whines instead of just talking to communicate. I've tried ignoring the whining. I've tried telling him to use his words because I don't understand him when he whines. I've tried timeouts for him to calm down when several warnings don't stop the whining. Help.

I thought it was a phase, but it's been a year of this. My husband is getting really frustrated with him and called him a sissy boy (yes, I know how bad that is to do) within ear shot of my son a couple nights ago. So, for my son's sake I've got to get this whining to stop.

He is a middle child. He has a big sister that starts school for the first time next week (which I'm hoping helps a bit) and a baby sister. I'm a SAHM, so he doesn't go to daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like it's time for him to be a big brother helper! He's feeling insecure about his world and the changes in the amount of attention he's getting. Ignoring the whiney behavior only works if you give him more attention at other times. Let him start helping you make meals, help get the baby ready (getting her clothes, diapers, toys etc), have him help you with chores (clearing the table, picking things up, vacuuming, sorting laundry), and give him choices (between two outfits, movies, books, etc) You don't want to over praise him cuz that will lead to other issues, but give him a sense of independence and that he can do things for himself. He may also have a dairy issue. Does he get worse when he drinks milk? Try limited dairy for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Does he have dark circles under his eyes (another sign of milk issues) Good luck!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:25 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• ive had this too, it finally stopped around 3, but it helped me a lot to praise him when he did use his words, and be consistant and not give into his whining, he finally got the idea that he only got the good attention when he acted like a big boy, it slowed down considerably when i gave him grown up things to do, like let him get his own things and do things on his own. boys are stubborn and the worst thing to do at this point is to baby him in anyway
    Kare0608

Answer by Kare0608 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• As a former teacher and grandmother of nine, I suggest that sometimes it helps for children to understand how annoying the sound of whining can be. My latest children's book, Peter and the Whimper-Whineys by Sherrill S. Cannon is a story of a little rabbit who does nothing but whine. This rhyming book should be read with alternating normal voice and whining voice, according to the character speaking. Children learn that Whimper-Whineyland is not a fun place to be!!! The book can be found on amazon.com where there is the read-inside-the-book feature, as well as on bn.com. I hope that this helps your son as well as it has helped my grandchildren!
    Grandmother9

Answer by Grandmother9 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010