Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone been in a or heard of self representation in a custody case

i am going through a custody battle and i had an attorney until she left the firm and now I dont have the time or the funding to hire another attorney and so i am going to represent myself. does anyone have any advice for me?

Answer Question

Asked by jojo506 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Do lots of reasearch. Or just PM me cause me and my father both self represented and my father got custody of the us 4 and I got sole custody of my son. Any questions just ask me and i'll ask my father and get right back to you

    Answer by Harley84 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • I know I didn't ask the question but, I have a Q for you Harley84. How do you file the paperwork and all of that w/o the atty. And if the case was in LA and we live in GA can we file a custody case in GA? I would love to do without an atty if I could.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 4:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • You just got to the court and ask what paper work needs to be filled out and yes you should be able to. I know the law in NY that if the the children reside in NY and the parent that wants custody resides in another state they have to go back to NY to file the papers. Just calll your local family court and ask them if that doesnt answer your question.

    Answer by Harley84 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.