Is it true that washing and rinsing your hair in cold or cool water will make it softer and cut back on frizz?

I've heard that if when I take a shower I wash and rinse my curly hair in cold/cool water that it will make it softer, easier to brush and cut back on frizz. Anyone know if this is true?
Also, is it better to use a wide tooth comb or a brush or just my fingers to cut back on the frizz?
Thanks!

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Oh,and wide tooth comb while wet,fingers when dry

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• the cold water closes the cuticle (heat opens it); therefore, with a closed/flat cuticle, there is better reflection of light (shinier!), and being closed, its 'smoother'. a raised/opened cuticle will result in frizzies, as the hair dries.
    this is also why when drying hair (especially hair that has "texture") you get a better result, smoother finish, if you aim the nozzle/concentrator downward, rather than up and out. blowing down from scalp to ends, with a firm hold (whether you use your hands and pull taut, or use a brush, round or flat) will net you less fly-aways and more control of that frizz/texture/curl. also, a few drops of a silicone-based smoothing product will help, too!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• every hair salon i've been too has always told me to rinse conditioner out with cold water
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It does help... my hair dresser always rinses my hair in luke warm water. The less heat you put on you hair the less damage you will have I would assume.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The cuticle is temporarily closed,but as soon as your head heats up again-like in the sun-it opens up again.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• *to

oh, and to leave the conditioner in for a few minutes before rinse
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Cold water also makes it shiny.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes and like people said, the temporarily closed cuticle will open back up when it warms up. I use bio-silk (I think that's what it's called) It's a silicone based product that seals the hairs cuticles so that you don't have disastrous hair in high humidity--like here in Manhattan! You might want to try that or a similar product.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2010