Why don't they teach it?

In talking to some friends, and from a question I asked in the other section, it sounds like the majority of Protestant churches don't teach anything about the reformation or the history of their religion in Sunday school? The only exception I've found has been JW and Lutherans, and even then, the Lutherans said it wasn't so much a comprehensive history as a glossing over to explain how the church got its name. What reason is there for not teaching children the history of the faith and how it was formed?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree, it should be taught. If you are going to be a part of a religious group you need to know why and how they exist... However, if my JW mother ever heard you call her a Protestant she would have a heart attack...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Because it is much easier to brainwash when you remove all the distasteful bits.   

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• just guessing.. but maybe because a lot of the protestant churches are 'new', less than a few 100yrs old, maybe more..so there isn't much history. i'll admit, i didn't learn anything about the beginning of the baptist church as a child/teen..however, i will say, the history isn't as important, or it would seem, as the future. everyone (more than just baptist churches) seems to be more concerned with it/eternity, rather than looking behind.
    then again, i always hated history classes. i probably would've snoozed through them, anyhoo! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:48 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I joined a Brethren in Christ church 6 months ago, and they are very much about the history of the "church". Going back to the very beginning of all churches. So now you can add BIC to your strange list. Is there some reason you like to pick on Christians so much?
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 9:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Is there some reason you like to pick on Christians so much?

Is there some reason you view a simple question as being picked on?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Hubby and I learned htat on our own. we (well actually HE) teaches it to the kids. I really do wish that more churches were open to learning understanding ALL the history. But they aren't :-(
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I attend a small country Baptist church, and the history of our church is often discussed. It is not "taught" in class, rather we spend the time we have in class studying the Bible or discussing lessons from our Sunday School books, or just sitting and talking with the other people, lol! However, the history of our individual church is often discussed. And yes, they talk about it from the time it was founded to current day.
    As for the history of Christianity in general, the early history of the faith is what the Bible is! It is the story of Christianity! As for more recent history, it is easily traced if someone cares to look.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• nope- never learned any history at all in church that wasn't IN the bible.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Hmm not sure are you talking about how the Protestants protested the Catholics? That is what I always thought ...that the Protestants protested the Catholics because they felt they weren't teaching the Word right? I could be wrong though.
    Ficaficaface

Answer by Ficaficaface at 10:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Hmm not sure are you talking about how the Protestants protested the Catholics? That is what I always thought

The reformation was a fracture of Christianity that led to 80 years of war where Christians slaughtered each other over whose version was right. I guess maybe a better question would be how many adults understand it, because I've seen answers here and in my other question that suggest there are some who still don't know the history of their religion as adults. It wasn't just a protest - it was mass slaughter from the 1500's well into the 1600's.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010