The sanctity of marriage?

If preserving the sanctity of marriage is the reason behind denying gay marriage, why then do Christians have the highest divorce rate?

This is an except from a very interesting article.
The difference in divorce rates is particularly interesting given the fact that the Christians getting divorced in the highest numbers are among the same Christians who are most likely to raise an alarm about the state of marriage in society. They also tend to be the same Christians who want to deny gays the right to marry on the assumption that gay marriage is a "threat" to the institution of marriage. If marriage is in any danger in America, perhaps the threat comes from the unstable marriages of conservative Christians, not the relationships of gays or the marriages of godless atheists.
Thoughts?
Link to the full article posted below.

beeky

Asked by beeky at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i think its b/c Christians get married at earlier ages that other faiths...theres a LOT of pressure in Christian circles to be married before 25 and the stricter churches want you married right outta high school. young age at marriage is a risk factor for divorce (im not saying all young marriages are doomed, its just more common) b/c humans rarely mature by the end of the teen years.

also, i only skimmed the religious tolerance study as these studyies arent news to me. but isnt it possible that since marriage isnt deemed a requirement for sex by Atheists/Agnostics it keeps them from feeling marriage is always necessary? the number of Christians i know who got married just so they could have sex is sadly staggering...

and i have no say on the gay marriage aspect cause i have no problem w/ it. its the govt choice not religions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Here is my personal opinion. People can call themselve "Christians" just because they believe in God. This does not necessarily mean that they have entered into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. If you call yourself a Christian, but are not living the life- it's going to affect your marriage. You aren't going to adhere to the principals of being loyal to your spouse, uplifting him, standing by him, etc. I bet if they did research on the divorce rate of actual "practicing" Christian couples, it would be a lot lower. Lots ot people call themselves Christians, but they just believe in God... they don't do anything else about it.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• When my youngest sister married her current husband it was the second marriage for her. And the third for him. He became a preacher, not realizing that, in the eyes of his Jesus and his god, he was committing adultery. Jesus said that even those who divorce because of adultery (the only legal reason in his eyes to divorce) cannot re-marry without thus committing adultery themselves. Confused? Yeah, so was I. As a godless atheist I have been married to my first and only husband for almost 42 years. I have read of gay couples that have been together longer than that. Some til death parted them. Proof that love is love. And it doesn't only exist between one man and one woman. Christians don't actually HAVE a real reason to prevent the gay community from getting marriage licenses. But they grasp at the tiny straw of holy matrimony as if it were a life-preserver. And it's drowning them.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I find it interesting how many common things get excused away as people "doing it wrong" or some variation of not being a "real" Christian in one question, and then in another question they get excused away based on people not being perfect and sins being forgivable. Funny how realness and rightness depend on whether or not the person is talking about themself or someone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Shaneagle, really? You, who admitted to going through a divorce, are trying to pass judgement on others divorces? Ok, so if that is the reason for most divorces, did your husband or you have sexual relations with someone before you married? Or did one of you stop following the "rules" set down? Or could it maybe be that your husband has come to a point that he doesn't feel the ned to fight as hard for something he is no longer committed to?
    To the op, my dh and I have been married for 8 years. Yeah, we have had our troubles, but we have worked through them, without the help of the Christian god. We actually sit down and talk about our problems, not look in a book for the answers. And, yeah we got married young (I was 19 he was 21), but, I feel like we have actually been more open to the things that have happend and changed in our marriage.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010

• I have to agree with SAHMomOf3 on this one. There are a lot of people who on any form will check that they are "Christians" these people may not have been practicing in years. Some of them may have been raised in Christian homes, and honestly not have studied or participated in any type of organized religion in years. I could say I was Muslim, Wiccan, Atheist, that would not make it true, and could skew statistics.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I wouldnt be suprised that many Christian divorces are from marriages where either spouse had sexual relations with another before hand or each other before marriage. That can be a sure fire way to ruin a precious start in a marriage. Crazy? maybe but it makes a lot of sense to me!

Then you have issues. I had sex with my dh before marraige, we also had different partners before we met, and that in no way has harmed our relationship. You need to try not to get high before answering questions on here.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• HaHa... You would think they would want to encourage gays to marry. That way when (IF) they divorce the Christians can clump them in with another group and make it look like they aren't the majority anymore! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:43 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• again, i think the numbers of xtians are labeled as such simply because they believe in God. in reality, there are tons of divorced/dissolved marriages..some happen to be xtian, some happen to be xtian because of such labeling. not the lifestyle. i'm not saying 'real' (hate that term) xtians don't divorce..just that the labeling is broad, as usual. because a 'belief in God(of abraham)' wrongly assumes one to be xtian (IMO), the numbers are higher.
    other than that, i don't have an opinion on gay marriage/sanctity of marriage vs. xtian divorce rate. i see many enter into marriage, from all walks, that wouldn't know committment/sanctity if it slapped them in the face. JMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well, now that I see the article comes from atheism.com..........I have ZERO respect for it. Can't you find a source that does not come from a Religious Hate Group. How about real statistics? And for that matter, since Chrisitanity is the single largest religion out there, it stands to reason that the #s would be higher. I don't think your religion has anything to do with whether your marriage will succeed or not.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010