Do you think cats can sense labor?

Ok, I am about 38 weeks pregnant and I have two cats. Neither of them are typically very affectionateAt most I will wake up with them cuddled together near me or against my leg on the bed in the morning. Well, for the past week or two both of them have been unusually cuddly with me, especially my older cat. She will hardly leave me alone. She follows me to the bathroom more than she used to, won't leave my side on the couch, follows me to bed a lot more, etc. It is very unusual for her to act this way. Someone suggested it was because the weather has gotten slightly cooler, but she's never acted this way before when the weather has changed. I've also been having a LOT of pre-labor symptoms over the past couple of weeks and thought I was in labor this morning. Do you think my cats can sense that something isn't right with "mommy" and are more aware than I am of my upcoming labor?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pets

• oh yes. Cats are very aware of the change in you and the weather. They are close to you and are comforting you through this pre birth, that's about to happen. They can tell when it will rain,storm or snow. I have 4 cats and they let me know everything around our domain. They let me know when our dog we were pet sitting was going into labor. I truly believe they are physic. So good luck on your new baby's arrival.  God Bless and take care.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• absolutely.....my dogs knew something was up and cats are much more receptive.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• well, they can tell when a human's going to have a seizure, wju wouldn't they be able to tell if you're in labor?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Definitely they can sense it. I had a dog that became very protective over me when I was pregnant with my son.
    TattooedBeauty

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 9:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It is possible i assume, cats are smart:) im the kitty mommy to 5.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• yes i do, my cat is the same way nobody notices her when they come over because she keeps to herself, but towards the end of my pregnancy she made herself known, she would come and need on my stomach and was always around i would say she started that like two to three weeks before i gave birth!
    teen_mom_89

Answer by teen_mom_89 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008