roaches

ok i clean my house 3xs a wk dishes get done after dinner and the trash goes out when its full. however i have a bad problem with German roaches. my so says that it is cause we have a field behind the house, but they were not this bad when we moved in. we have now come to the conclusion that it is the fridge his bro in law gave us, we have sprayed it and we still have them. we have a 7yr old and 4 1/2 month old what do i do to get of these things they are making their way into the bedrooms.

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 9:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• we use to have that problem and i found out the strays just didnt work we would try every diferent spary we could find and nothing so we bought 2 of those insect bombs and so we put them and we stayed over y parents for the weekend with the kids so they woudnt be expose to it even though it says its safe for pets and kids but just to make sure. and that really made things so much better.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• BORAX.
    Yeah, the laundry stuff.
    Put it in those plastic 2-liter bottlecaps, and put them in the places the roaches go. Behind/under the fridge, in the backs of cabinets, etc. But make sure they are in places the kiddos can't get at them. The roaches crawl over the borax, it sticks to their legs, and destroys their exoskeleton. Once they take it back into the colony, other roaches will get it on them. I've ended massive infestations this way.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:11 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh, no, the bombs aren't safe. If you bomb your house, you must wash all your dishes, linens, curtains, everything. The major chemical is acetylcholinesterase, and what it does it blocks the reuptake of acetylcholine, which involves the beginning and ending of muscle activity. Without the enzyme to 'trap' the acetylcholine, the muscles will continue to function autonomically, eventually leading to death. These chemicals are just as toxic to humans as they are to bugs. The borax isn't something you want kids to eat or anything, but it's not going to kill them, yanno?
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think I would call a professional to make sure you get rid of them...they'll give you a guarantee.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• bleach the base boards of your house and set roach traps behind the fridge. we get them here from the field behind our house as well and there isnt much we can do besides hope the cats get them before the kids. Unless you are willing to bug bomb your house and can find a safe bug repellent for kids and animals you might just be SOL.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You have to treat the whole house, not just the fridge. Roaches live in the walls, and by the time you see one in the open (they are very timid insects and try to run and hide around lights/people/etc) there are usually thousands in your walls. They start to come out then because of the overcrowding. I would buy bombs at the store (they sell them at Walmart and bomb your house. When you can go back in, buy some of the spray that you put along crevices (like where the baseboard meets the wall, the cupboards meet the wall, and so on) and put that down too. If you have the money, you should have an exterminator come out and take care of the problem because it's less work for you. After you bomb, wash all of your dishes (even the ones you covered before you put them away again...and wash all of your clothes and linens in hot water, because they can nest in there too.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• OK ladies, I am eagerly awaiting answers here, I don't have the same problem but I do have more bugs in this house than I like, but I am soooooo concerned about putting those poisons in my house with a child here!! What about safety? Will the bomb hurt OP's infant? Is the spray safe?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010