Can someone explain the Catholic religion to me?

I grew up in a non-denominational Christian church. I was always taught that God is almighty and all powerful. He doesn't need any help. So why do Catholics pray to all the saints for things?
It's just a question.. I understand that this is CM so a debate will probably break out... but be civil, okay? Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs, I would just like to understand other religions a little better.

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Catholics believe that people who died are alive in Heaven, and they can and do pray for us,  the same as we can and do pray for them. Prayers to a saint or deceased person are very different from prayers to God. When I say the Hail Mary I ask Mary to pray for my sins, I don't ask God to pray for my sins, I ask God to forgive my sins.

We believe we are all still connected as one community under God,  and we should pray for each other.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Catholics don't pray "to" saints, they ask saints to intercede on their behalf. Think of it like asking the boss' secretary to put in a good word for you when you turn in your report.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's ok to ask for God himself to help you, he created us, ...he knows each hair on our heads, why would he not hear us, the only thing I add to my prayers are, .....right before I stop praying, I say the words.."IN JESUS' NAME." than amen

Catholic church standard form of prayer is usually in Jesus name .
    I never quite got the concept of teaching all the saints on behalf of people's sins, only that they were exampled to us by being martyrs and prophets, and quite a bit full of the Holy Spirit and walked a path before us, so this was a good real life action of how much some stood up for Jesus to give regards to him and the life Jesus wanted for all mankind, the Eternal life of no pain, no death, no sickness, no mourning, no sorrow, or no debt. The select prophets/ saints were their to stand up and walk in front of the crowds, to go through them to teach and pray for the listening, ....the accepting.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Funny how people are always whining about Christians being bashed when the ones who do most of the Christian bashing around here are other Christians.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Lol. I was raised Catholic and I'm still trying to figure that out! There are a lot of things off about the Catholic religion. However I believe there are a lot of things off about all religions.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Very true MizAnn. I've always believed that each person interprets things differently. It's okay to not understand, I just wondered. I'm not one to bash people for their religions, I just like to understand as much as I can. As long as someone is a good person, it shouldn't matter who/what they believe.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In adding to my other comment:

The saints also prayed alone to God, he was their one true God just as God is still one true almighty God. So it's not the way to go through saints for prayers to be heard, (don't know why people believe this) when it's clearly calmly printed in the Word of God to directly go into the closet of prayer so that your requests aren't hindered by anyone else. So go ahead and look up prayer closet , it will say about the not being hindered.......***** that is one reason, another non reason to believing in saints praying for us, is that we are directly connected to the Father by prayer, in Jesus' name. That is all throughout the New testament. And some old too. Their is only one mediator between God the Father and man, ...the man Jesus Christ.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In God's interpretation God said, that no one is good, no not one, which is the purpose of having Jesus his only begotten son, to give us grace for our downfall of the general quota.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• So my question to SAHMof3 is , ...... so is it just ----we go to church, and as long as we go and are catholic, that makes us good, and it shouldn't matter if Jesus is in the equation,

not bashing , Im just confused what way you're going with the question
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, I was just simply asking what the purpose of the saints was. I didn't understand, and still don't really...

I'm not Catholic, wasn't raised Catholic, and didn't ever know anyone who knows a lot about the religion. I was just curious and figured with the millions of Cafe Mommers, someone was bound to have a good explaination that I could understand.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010