another gendered names question -- nicknames -- IE for girl/Y for boy? or was it the other way around?

i've had people tell me this before that a boy nickname that ends in the sound should be spelled with a Y and a girl should be spelled with an IE. maybe i'm backwards on this...?
do you think that it should be that way? that it doesn't matter? I have never even heard of such a tradition, if you can call it that, other than a few comments on here. :-)

i'm trying to think of another example but can only come up with Franky and Frankie. is one a girl and one a boy?

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Baby Names

• I always thought y for girl ie for a boy. But it can go either way nowadays.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In my world Frankie is not a girls names so I can't help you there. But maybe Francis and Francine

Fran, Franny, Frannie
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my younest is called riley and she;s a girl. i know there are othre ways to spell it, i just chose the easiest one
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Sydney(girl), Sidney(boy), Bobbie(Girl), Bobby(boy), Frankie(girl), Franky(boy), Danny(boy) Dannie(girl? doesn't look right, lol). That's all I can come up with. I honestly, don't think it matters anymore anyway. People seem to like coming up with non-traditional spellings of just about every name. I personally like the more traditional spellings. It's still the same name, only one looks right to me and the other is either weird or stupid, IMO)
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 11:03 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You know now that I think about it I can't think of any nick names like this except for jessie and jessy MAYBE andie and andy but really how many andy/andie females have you heard of. You have alex and lexie, laney and lane. I think adding the ie or y makes it girly.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• jgrimmer, i think girl would be just dani. that's how i would spell it anyway but you can see how much i know. lol
    Stefanie83

Comment by Stefanie83 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Mrs. Bean - I know lots of Andrea's who go by Andi
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 1:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think that's silly. I know a girl Jesse and a boy Jesse. I know a Lizzy. I just don't think it matters that much. if I wanted to have a nickname ending in a y I would
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• yeah i think FRANKY Is for a boy & FRANKIE Is for a girl but it shouldnt matter which way it is if you like it for either it is your choice
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Yes, it's true. Certain gender neutral names do have different spellings so you know whether the person is male or female. I went to high school with a girl who's name was Sydney, but she spelt it with the male spelling Sidney and we used to say all the time that she had a man's name,
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2010