Potty Training

Hello! My son is 23 months old. I know we are nearing the age of potty training, but the thing is my son is not showing any signs of readiness. What age did your boys potty train(please no "my son potty trained at 8 months" replies :) . Any tips for me? I dont want to wait to long b/c in 7 months there will be a new lil one here! Thanks!

crazy4u49033

Asked by crazy4u49033 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• both my son and daughter started at about a month after they turned 3.

I call BS on anyone that says their child was potty trained that early! LOL the only one trained there is mommy to go hold baby over the toilet every 30 minutes or so. ;o)

I say wait until he shows the signs! It was SOOOOO much easier! One day my son told "I'm a big boy! no more pull ups" and that was the end of that. My daughter has had a few more accidents than he had, but I'm thinking that's because girls hold their pee different and she's working on learning the control over that muscle.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would start the process now. Take him to the potty and let him sit there. I used a kitchen timer and I would set it for ever 20 min and then we would go potty and then reset it for 5 min to sit on the potty. As my LO became proficient with actually peeing on the potty we backed the timer up by 5 min and decreased the time on the potty by 1 min. This has worked amazingly well. My LO was almost potty trained and then we moved and we are starting again. It is working very well again. She knows what the timer is and knows that when it goes off she has to go potty. I know that I have a girl but the actual process shouldn't really be any different between boys and girls. I wish you luck but if he isn't trained by the time the new LO is here then you will have to wait for him to adjust to the situation and then start again about the time he is three. Just be patient.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:13 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I started at 2.5(30 months) He was ready and it took 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I just put a potty for my son in the bathroom and I let him come in with me when I went. Soon he wanted to do it himself. It also helped that he had an older sister. But I did not push him or even make him sit there. I just let him come to the idea himself. He was just under 2 and once he decided he want to go it only took a few days. Every child is different so keep trying things until it works for your son. :D
    stweshjali

Answer by stweshjali at 12:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Have you looked at the 3 day method? http://www.3daypottytraining.com/
    We're gearing up to give it a try, after some friends of mine have had success with it. Might be worth it. The signs of readiness may not be the signs you think they are.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010