Casper, the unwanted house guest?

So my husband's 18 yo niece moved in with us a few months ago (rent free) with the agreement that she would get a job, go to college and clean up after herself. She has a min wage 10/wk job, but has not done the other things.

I think she senses that we want to talk to her because now she is coming in after we go to bed and seems to be making a point to leave without us noticing. I am here ALL THE TIME so she waits until I am in the bathroom or something and leaves for the day until after midnight. It is bugging the S! out of me. Honestly, avoiding us by playing ghost is making me more mad.

What would you do?

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 11:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Wait up and confront her. She's certainly not going to adjust her schedule in order to be brought down a notch or two and be reminded of the house rules, you'll have to adjust yours.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:18 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It sounds like you already know her sneaky routine.So,before she leavesin he morning,sit her down and give her a date that she has to move out.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 2:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Call her, text her or leave her a note taped to her door that you want to talk to her and give her a time and place. She still has time to sign up for her classes. College hasnt started yet.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 4:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• She has no money and didn't sign up for financial aid. Plus because of the economy here, teachers were laid off /classes were elimiated and classes that remain are already FULL. Even the Wait Lists are full. So even if she could scrape up the money, she waited too long to sign up. I hope that she still trys to crash at least one class, but even if she made the BEST efforts at this point it is very unlikely that she could get into any class let alone one that she needs.

I am sad and frustrated that we tried to give her a good opportunity and she has pissed it away. I suppose we all live and learn. Whatever happens... I hope that the next time opportunity presents itself to her... she recognizes and appreciates it.
    Niki_sd

Comment by Niki_sd (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Drink a stong coffee and wait for her. Or, leave a note she is to have common courtsey & speak to you & your S/O, if not she knows where the door is. Your accommodating her, she can at least do the same.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2010