Finding about yourself

People always say find yourself, love yourself first before you get into a relationship. How in the heck do you do that. Thanks for the advice!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• i have always felt that a man would make me happy and was always in a relationship. i was looking for men or boys to fill that void that my father never filled. what they mean by this and being happy with who you are and being able to feel that you are just find without a man. when i realized that i found a great man but i was divorced for 12 yrs. it's taking it slow, living your life for you, setting goals, doing what you like to do and taking care of who you are mentally and emotionally. maybe becoming a better mother, devoting yourself to mother hood. maybe advancing your career or volunteering for those less fortunate. charity work or things that do not involve men in your life. there is no one place to find yourself or anyone thing you do that finds you. it's time and cherishing yourself and your life. the man should be an extension of you and not who you are with him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• also try reading " he's not that into you" should help you see what men out there are really about. i would try not dating for awhile to help you find yourself cause when your with a man you kinda loose yourself in them.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• personally it took me a long time to just start thinking about myself instead of always worrying about my then husband. Once i truely took care of myself i have found that i am a happier person even though i am still single. I know now what i will and will not tolerate from a companion. The other thing is dont just think about yourself DO things for yourself. I make sure i get my nails done once a month, and when i'm feeling just a little down i make sure to fix my hair and makeup and wear high heels. you will be so happy with yourself everyone will take notice of you not just guys.
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Time out of a relationship is the best medicine. Then all you have to think about is yourself. What you like and dislike. Where you want to go..what you want to buy etc. Then once you are all into yourself you can add a man and know that no matter what you will be ok if you are on your own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008