what causes people to be on constant defense-mode?

i'll admit, i'm apathetic towards a lot of issues..selfish, i know...are some people born with the desire to argue the 'other side'? is it a left-brain/right-brain thing? product of their environment? boredom?
what piques a person's interest so much that they feel compelled to win a debate? passion? spotlight? what?

(there's no real category for this query- i'm making up for being offline most of the day yesterday.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 11:47 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I vote a combination of boredom and insecurity. Some folks only feel okay is they're right about something, even if what they're right about is generally irrelevant, ridiculous or moronic.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I'm not really compelled to "win" a debate...just state my viewpoint and move on.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Insecurity
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i think with me, i find a lot of people are naieve. not always their fault. my eyes are wide open. i have been and still am on the other side of the fence with a lot of things people are hellbent on believing can't be true. seeing as i have lived both worlds in many debates i can argue in hopes that more people will see the reality of life.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010