Is there a good pacifier for a breastfeeding newborn baby?

TessasMommy118

Asked by TessasMommy118 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Soothie pacifier.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:53 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I agree. My 6 month old uses the Soothies and is still breastfeeding. Try and hold off on the paci for a few weeks to make sure breast feeding is established to help reduce nipple confusion. Good luck!
    Mommaof32010

Answer by Mommaof32010 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I gave the soothie one to my son and he stopped latching. :/ No more breastfeeding for us. It's rare, but nipple confusion does exist!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I honestly never understood the NEED to start babies on a pacifier at all. I raised 4 kids (2 of them twins) and never had a single one in the house. And, never needed one! Yes, I BF'd, in case you're wondering. So, why do people instantly plug a pacifier in a baby's mouth? I'm not bashing! So, please don't misunderstand. I'm not looking to be bashed either. I just really wonder what the reasoning is.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• what we use was nuk its a around one sorry been looking for name of it but not working to good i just know its by nuk sorry if not to helpful
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my 3 year old used NUKs and we never had a problem with nipple confusion. he also used NUK bottles when i was at work. i agree with acurran88 though that nipple confusion might happen, it's a risk with any pacifier/bottle IMO.
    my 3 month old doesn't take a pacifier
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I honestly never understood the NEED to start babies on a pacifier at all. I raised 4 kids (2 of them twins) and never had a single one in the house. And, never needed one! Yes, I BF'd, in case you're wondering. So, why do people instantly plug a pacifier in a baby's mouth? I'm not bashing! So, please don't misunderstand. I'm not looking to be bashed either. I just really wonder what the reasoning is. specialwingz Answer by specialwingz 54 minutes ago

it depends on the baby. with my 3 month old, i don't feel like i want to use one at all. with my 3 year old, though, he wanted to suck 24/7 which i understand is normal but i chose to use a paci so i could do things like prepare food, shower, etc. lol. i mean he literally would have been on the breast all day long if it wasn't for his paci. some moms might just keep baby on the breast all day but i chose to use a paci and it worked out. but like i said, my 3 month old is g
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my 3 month old is good without.
    Stefanie83

• I don't see a need for one except for long car rides or work separation as a last resort. If you do introduce one wait for at least 8 weeks to be sure you bf relationship is well in hand. newborn's suckling a lo is very important and a pacifier interferes, and a baby older than 5 or 6 months shouldn't need one at all.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Don't give one until breastfeeding is well established, 6 weeks or so. Soothie is probably the best way to go if you must. A breastfed baby really doesn't need a pacifier, all the sucking should be at the breast.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010