If you knew you couldn't afford it, would you still try to have another baby?

I mean literally TTC, even knowing you'd have to make some dramatic life changes to be able to afford another child.

Just curious, as I know someone who did this.

ajtherad

Asked by ajtherad at 12:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If it meant having to sacrifice things for my firstborn, absolutely not. I will not bring a child into the world unless I know I can give it the same kind of life that I give my firstborn. Granted, if the second ended up being the same gender, I could save a lot on reusing a lot of the items I already have, but there will still be things to buy. Paying bills and keeping a roof over our head and food on our table is much more important to me than bringing another child into the world. I can be happy with the family I have, if need be. But I will not put our family into trouble financially just to have another baby, as loved as it would be.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i probably wouldn't, i guess that is why we are waiting to have number 2 right now. but in all honesty, can you every really afford having a kid these days. you always make sacrifices for the love of a child to make sure they have what they need and want in life.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It would depend on what sort of life changes. If it meant going out to eat less to none, not being able to go to the movies all the time, etc sure I would. If it was giving up things that aren't a necessity, but if it meant that I would have to struggle to pay my bills every month then no I wouldn't because I couldn't bring a baby into the situation not knowing if I would be able to give it everything it needed.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No I wouldn't.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Whats your definition of not affording another child? Having a great job with benefits and no debt? In that case, millions of people can't afford another child yet they do.

In my case, I don't take my fertility for granted. If I'm able to have another child and want another child, I will. A person's financial situation can always change for the better, but fertility is only a limited time offer, sort of speak.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, I wouldn't try to get pregnant if I couldn't afford it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Nope. Sure wouldn't..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No. I would love to have a second child but I can't afford it.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No I wouldn't, it's irresponsible. Granted there is never a RIGHT time financially to plan a baby, but there is most certainly a WRONG time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would never bring a child into this world knowing that I couldn't care for it financially, physically, emotionally and mentally. EVER. In fact, DH and I thought of having another child, we could afford to have a 3rd, but it would put us living paycheck to paycheck and we just recently stopped doing that and we don't want to go back to it any time soon. We want to be able to provide for the 2 we already have :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2010