If God is all-knowing, then why does he create non-believers?

Seems to me that any self-respecting God would want to be believed in and worshipped by all. Why create people that he knows ahead of time won't do what he wants them to do? In other words, are non-believers sacrificial pawns in a larger game?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 12:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Keep in mind we are talking about an All-knowing God who knows what choices you will make and the consequences of those choices. Yet he punishes those who choose a path that does not worship him, so then why create them? You can say "he doesn't punish you the devil does" but what all-powerful being would create an angel he knows would betray him? Furthermore if God is "in control" then you are simply on auto-pilot which negates free will. There is no choice if everything is chosen for you by an omniscent being that created you. If an omniscent being does exist that allows you choices and allows you to make bad choices KNOWING the consequences of those choices you cannot claim he is LOVE, he's just a sadistic child playing with a defenseless animal for his own personal amusement. That isn't Love
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He doesn't create non-believers. He creates people and gives them free will and responsibility for their lives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• An omniscent God creates "Free-will" and then punishes those that do not believe in him knowing what path in life they are going to choose anyways because he is "all-knowing" negates the whole "free-will" concept.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• "You have free will to believe in me or not. But if you don't, you'll burn for eternity in a lake of fire."

That's the equivilent of an abusive husband saying "You can leave me anytime you like, dear. But if you do, I'll hunt you down and beat the ever livin' shit out of you every day for the rest of your life. But really, there's the door. You can leave at any time." Does that scenario sound like free will to anyone?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He didn't create "non-believers" he created free will. God does not "Force" you to believe in him, or follow him. Just as he did not force any of the 12 apostles to follow him. In invites you and you have to decide for yourself if you are going to accept that invitation. The true beauty is in that it is an open invitation, so even if you decline today, you can always accept tomorrow
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have wondered this. In my case I am atheist but I honestly wish I was a believer. I have tried to convince myself but can't. So being a non-believer is not my "will" at all. I simply cannot help it. What if I claimed to be a believer but didn't truly believe? That would be my will to believe. I feel that if God damned me to hell for not believing then he wouldn't be the wonderful God people speak of. I am a good person, I treat others well. Why should I be punished for an eternity for something I cannot control?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The "free will" argument is kind of ridiculous--especially in light of Jesus' command to his disciples to go out and preach his gospel to all peoples. God-slaves don't seem to take it very seriously when they are attempting to force conversion down the throats of non-believers or those they consider wrong-believers. My free will has made me an atheist. If god exists and if he is all-knowing, then he knew what I would end up being on the day I was born. And it seems to me that it is going against god's plan for christians to trespass on my personal "free will". Yet they do it anyway. Religion has so many contradictions, it's no wonder we are confused. And no wonder that THEY are also confused. Their "kind" and "loving" god created the nightmare of hell. And knowing that he would create hell and send his creations to it seems, to me, cruel in the extreme.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Shan, now matter how hard I try I can NEVER believe in something my mind finds to be illogical and defying reason.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Free will free will free will... blah blah blah that's your answer for every thing. There are just as many verses in your Bible about PREDESTINATION, and free will is NEVER mentioned by name. God says he knows you before you're born- has a plan for you and yet you think you have free will. If he has a plan for you already in place- the choices you think you're making are nothing more than what he ALREADY knows you're going to do. Sure, you might be able to make your own choices along the way, but the outcome is already set for you, so in reality, you are changing nothing.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• God creates people with a desire to know him, but he doesn't force it. What would be the point of creating a species that would choose him if he forced them to choose him. Yes he is all knowing, but to what extent. I think sometimes that he knows what will happen in your life no matter what choices you make. So when you come up to a fork in the road he knows what would happen if you followed path a and he knows what would happen if you followed path b. It really comes down to the debate over free will. If you don't believe that God gives us free will then yes I suppose we'd all be pawns in this life, but if we don't have free will then why even try. I believe we were given free will and God allows us to make our choices. He knows what each choice will mean in our life and may even to try to send people into our lives to influence that, but I think ultimately he knows what would happen both ways so that it's up to us and ....
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010