Worried about getting to the hospital!

I'm about 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. At the present moment we have no vehicle and live 3o mins away from the hospital at least. My df works Mon-Fri and gets home at 3pm (carpools). We have asked his mother to take us to the hospital when its time and she said in a heartbeat, no matter the time day or night(they live 20 mins from us). Anyways I'm worried about getting to the hospital on time when the baby comes because she is always late and never truely rushes to help anyone. I had a doctors appt the other day and I was 30 mins late to it because she took her sweet time getting there! I'm really worried about having the baby at home or on the way! I have noone else that is close to me that would be able to take me! What could I do? I've already discussed my concerns with my mil and she said that she would hurry us to the hospital, but then she got me to my doc appt sooo late!!! I'm so frustrated and worried

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That's what 911 is for if you need it. YOu may not want the additional cost but if you had too...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Don't worry too much. You can always call an ambulance if you feel you are too close to wait for mil to get there.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• call an ambulance, that is what they are there for and that is what my dad would say since he is a medic. lights and sirens always make for a quick and dramatic way to have a baby.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Call your MIL when it is time, if you think the baby is going to come before she gets there call 911.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I dont have any problems calling 911 but I have a 2yr old and a 1 yr old at my house with me 24/7. What if the baby comes when my df is at work and my mil cant get here fast enough? I dont know what would happen to my other 2 kids.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Call a Taxi and have you MIL meet you at the hospital to take the kids.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• there are no taxis in my area
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Hopefully she will realize how important it is to get to the hospital when the baby is coming. I'm not saying the doctos appt. is not important, but the baby coming for surpasses that one. I would only hope she would get there fast enough. Also, I'm not sure about your insurance situation, and I know it may be expensive, but a solution is to be transported via ambulance. That way if it does take a while before getting to the hospital, at least you have trained EMTs at your side.
    I hope everything works out for you.
    I am kind of in the similar situation, only 32 weeks but my SO takes the car to work and is at work most of the time (never under 55 hours a week) so i figure the chances are much higher for me to have to go when he is at work, then when he is at home. I just keep the ambulance thing in the back of my mind if I think I need to go that way. Good luck!
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• take the kids they will enjoy the ride in the ambulance. lol
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i stayed with my boyfriend when i was worried about going into labor. can you stay with her when you feel like the time is nearing? do you go into labor fast? idk. other then calling an ambulance (which is always expensive as hell right? ee) stay with someone you can trust and will allow you to stay with them
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2010