Tattoos and the bible

Does anyone think its wrong to have tattoos? I am talking to this guy who has tattoos one is the jesus fish thing and the other is matt 4:10. I have always thought it was wrong to get tattoos but he told me this story about some man coming up to him saying why would you get tattoos expecally about God on you when in the bible it says not to he told me he went on to tell the man in the same chapter of lev 19 it also says don't trim your beard and the man walked away lol so if you think it is wrong to have tattoos do you also think it wrong to cut your hair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• That is in the Old Testament. Once Jesus died for us the Old Testament laws are history.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No, I don't believe it is wrong. If it's wrong, then there are a LOT of people who won't get through those Pearly Gates in the end, huh?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Gooood Question :) I have often wondered myself, might have to ask the pastor next time i get a chance to talk wiith him...
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 12:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The first tattoo was the mark that god placed on Cain's forehead, after he murdered his brother. If god can do it, why not humans? I've never gotten one because so many people end up having changed their minds about the tattoo later on and wishing they hadn't gotten it. But I don't know of any verses in the bible that specifically forbid this activity.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't think tattoos are right but at the same time I don't believe your salvation is based on if you have tattoos or not. Your body is a God's temple and we are to keep it holy which to me marking it up isn't keeping it holy....but at the same time you know I smoke and eat junk food so I'm not keeping it holy either. I just personally don't like tattoo's....in this day and age I feel very original about this to as it seems EVERYONE has like 500 of them. LOL
    Ficaficaface

Answer by Ficaficaface at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Here's the thing. SOME people see Tattoos like physical abuse or something, and they tend to rely on the "your body is a temple" scripture to back up that tattoos are wrong. On the other hand, many others see tattoos as decoration... A temple or not, I don't see why you can't redecorate now and then... It all comes down to your personal feelings. I'm not Christian, and I LOVE tattoos, but I know a few who believe they are wrong... Either way, I don't see why God would really hold something as trivial as tattoos as something to deny one love or salvation when there are so many other issues out there for him to worry about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Why would a God invent tattoos if not to enhance his own glory?
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• In my religion (Judaism), tattoos are forbidden.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• no its not wrong...i hv 3and my son has 4 he is in fulltime ministry...we hv pastors with them etc...that scripture has to be in the right context....look up the tattooed preacher on myspace he did a great teaching on that passage
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No and I'm not going to use the OT excuse. My reasons are as follows.
    1 I have never even seen the word Tattoo in the bible period.
    2 God would not have allowed the technology if it was truly offensive to him,
    3 The bible is misunderstood all the time and is up to ones interpretation.

As for hair cutting that is silly it has been proven to be healthier to trim your hair and beard.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010