What is the dumbest purchase you ever made?

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband and I--many years ago, when we were young and foolish--bought a cockatoo (a large white parrot). I had smaller birds when I was younger and had always dreamed of having a large parrot who was highly intelligent. At the time, we lived in an apartment, but the guy at the pet store assured us (of course) that the bird would be quiet and all would be well. NOT. She was loud as hell, squawking and screaming all the time, and she was incredibly demanding of our time, attention, our food, etc. It was sort of like having a kid, except without much reward :) The bird also was somewhat aggressive toward my husband because she (or he?) was obsessed with me and very jealous. When I was pregnant with my first child, we knew we'd have to find her a new home because we couldn't take a chance that she'd be aggressive toward the baby. This was a big bird with a big beak! We found her a GREAT home where there were several other..
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• A bike---a sort of "retro" Schwinn that I never used.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• birds for her to play with and an owner who'd had large parrots for 30+ years and was an expert. We went to visit her a few times after the placement, and she seemed very happy. I regretted having to rehome her, but there was NO WAY we could have made it work out. It made me very sad anyway.
    Oh, and the other reason it was such a mistake...my husband and I pulled in around 45K per year at that time, combined. We paid over $3500 for the cockatoo and cage. We re-homed her for free. Expensive lesson learned.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Our DLP tv. Piece of crap died on us 2 years after buying it! I should have trusted my gut and not let my hubby spend the $1100 on it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The damn atv that my husband wanted so bad and convinced me it would be sooo fun lol. Come to find out there is no place to ride it anywhere near where I live. We are still paying on the thing to collect dust.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• the scooter y husband bought that wasn't street legal-so no one wanted to buy it off us... and that stupid thing they were selling to file dog's claws with....TOTAL waste of money!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• An older piece of crap mercedes for my DD. Dont own a mercedes unless you have alot of money for repairs and maintenance! But she wanted it and her dad wanted it and he was paying half. We ended up trading it for a toyota corolla only to hear the mercedes blew up a month later. Then that guy ended up trading it for a street bike. The Toyota was a piece of crap too and I ended up selling it 1100.00. We just went to Ford and got her a cute like Ford Focus which is what I wanted to do in the first place! Sheesh. ; )
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 1:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My current car. I bought it in 2003 two months after I graduated from college. The car I had at the time only had a year left before it was paid for, but it was 7 years old and leaking oil real bad. I knew I wanted another Saturn so one day I went to the dealership and made a trade for a brand new car. DH (he was only my fiance at the time) was pissed because in a year we would be free of car payments. Fast forward 7 years and while it still runs. it doesn't exactly meet our family's needs. I really don't think I would get a decent trade on it now, and we had to replace DH's 2 door car with something bigger when our first c child was born 4 years ago. We're still paying on his car so we really don't want to do the 2 car payment thing again.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010