Why do people in places particularly walmart seem to go ape shit when your kids start crying?

I am the mommy of two little ones under the age of 2 and I do not have the luxury of leaving my kids with someone when I go grocery shopping. Usually we go to Walmart. It seems like if my kids start crying, everyone has to stare at me like I'm a monster or try and make them stop crying by getting in their faces ...does anyone feel my annoyance in this matter? I'm feeling extra cranky today..so if anyone would like to share their experiences and rant..thatts what this is for

oogiesmommy

Asked by oogiesmommy at 12:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm right there with you. During our grocery shopping yesterday, as we were checking out my 1 year old was crying because she wanted to get out of the cart. I got the stares. What was I supposed to do, let her out the cart so she can run around the store and then I'll be called a bad mom for THAT. WTH...
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I feel annoyed by screaming children when I'm trying to shop. This is the primary reason I only shop early in the a.m. or late in the evening if I can help it. That and kids with those stupid mini-me carts that they ram into people.

That said, I would not appreciate someone getting into my child's face or touching my child. Period.

Out of curiosity, why are they crying?
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The only people that irritate me when their kids are crying in the store are the ones that are mean to the kids because they are crying. Some people just treat their kids like total crap, of course your kids are going to cry if you are mean to them. Otherwise, I don't really care. Little kids are going to try to test their parents, it's what they do.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I know, I have a 19 m old and a 4 month old..sometimes one's asleep and one's crying, sometimes they're both trading off crying, it's the same thing..my daugther, the 19 month old wants out of the buggy and throws a fit..and I get the glares and the stares and I'm like look people, there's nothing else that I can do. If I take the double stroller in ..what am i supposed to put groceries on the bottom of it and then have people think I am shopliffting and not be able to fit the groceries in it all the way? what do people expect..did their kids not cry at the grocery store or did they have the luxury of leaving them with someone everytime they went out. grrr
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I Totally Agree with you! It's like people who have had children forget that they cry & get cranky. I was at Lowes and we were buying garden plants in the early summer. I didn't know that my DS was brewing a cold. All of a sudden he became super cranky and started to carry on. I knew that this wasn't his usual self so I immediately took all the plants out of the cart and proceeded to leave quick. I cannot believe how many dirty looks and shaking heads we encountered on the way out. I have to say, when I hear a crying kid in a store, I really feel for the Mom and I often want to approach her & ask If I can help especially when she is alone with a child or two. I know how you feel because I too am the ONLY person to care for my DS while my Dh is working. Have a good rest of the day & blow off the nasty people. Hugs!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• kids cry in any store i ever go to. thats just what they do. don't mind them and keep your calm
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 12:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My kids are under the age of two. My daugther wants to get out of the buggy or my son wakes up from his little nap or his sister starts crying and then it makes him cry! Seriously..why are they crying? Kids cant be happy 24 hours a day as they are human..
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I guess I'm lucky my daugther doesn't have a twin lol cause she sure doesn't want to be still in the buggy lol, though I cant blame her..the store is such an adventurous looking place..all the bright colors and shiny objects.
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've never had the experience of someone else trying to calm my children down. Some older people have made jokes about it as they walked past like "Looks like someone isn't happy", but that's all. I don't mind that either. People don't stare because they think you're a monster, they stare because your child is upset. Whether they feel your pain or they just simply are curious as to what happen. Either way, don't take it personally. People are bound to stare at you even if you have the quietest kids in the store. Don't pay any mind to them at all.

As for people getting in their face to try to remedy the situation. Either speak over them to your child or tell them that you have it handled.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's one thing if the kid crys-it's another when they WILL NOT STOP! I must be getting old because the sound of screaming kids really gets on my nerves and it seems like I can't go to ANY store EVER without having to hear a screamer!

I would never get in someones face though- That's just rude. I know when mine were little I had to take them with me too and there were days they threw fits or whatever and others had to hear it...so what comes around goes around ;)
    I usually just chant inside my head make them stop...please make them stop....
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010