8 yr old boy with bed wetting problem..

My nephew has a bed wetting problem and my older sister keeps saying hes going through a phase.. this has been going on for 4 years now... We give her advice to limit his liquid intake and stop it before bedtime, my dad even suggested one of those diapers for bigger kids and she gets offended and tells us to mind our own business. She spends the night at my house and my parents and the child is peeing on things.. I even thought that the boy might be molested since I read somewhere that children who are often molested tend to have bed wetting problems, then she got mad at me for that too.. What else could be wrong?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You would think as a mother she would be concerned about the "triggers" for bed wetting. Sometimes it is a medical problem, but most of the time it is an easy fix.
    He should not have liquid before bed, should empty his bladder before bed twice!
    Make sure there is no noises that sound like water running in his bedroom.

I would start setting my alarm and wake up to take him to the bathroom in the night, maybe he is not getting the signal to his brain that he has to void!
    The molesting thing is a possibility. Any abuse can cause the problem also.
    Good luck
    Grayshuss

Answer by Grayshuss at 12:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Hey,

My 8 year old step son still wets the bed. Pretty much every single night! He has not been molested or abused in anyway. I took him to the doctor a few weeks ago and they told me that it was "normal" for some kids. that if he has not had any Major problems accure like a really close death of a person he loved or anything REALLY dramatic that he will grow out of it sooner or later. I do find that limiting his liqued intake helps. Normally he is not alloweed to have anything to drink after 6:30 and his bedtime is at 8:30-9 ish. .. Good luck!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I have herd that childhood sleep apnea can cause bedwetting in older children, especially boys. I would tell your sister to talk to his doctor.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My 9 year old daughter still wets the bed. I did too, until I was almost 13. Genetics could play a role. We've gone through a lot of possibilities, she has seen doctors, we have tried preventive measures, but it all comes back to me being a late bed wetter.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Some kids do wet the bed at night and for a variety of reasons- like too much liquids, immature bladder, family history, deep sleepers..... My middle wet the bed till age 10, and my oldest is almost 14 and still wets the bed. In our case there is a family history of bedwetting (my mom stopped at age 15, my cousins did until 11/12 yrs), and my kids are deep sleepers. My son's doctor said that there is bedwetting medication and I think we are going to talk to him about starting that. My son does pee before bed, but still will wake up wet so he wears adult pull-ups to bed at night.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My oldest had bed wetting issues also. Our doctor told us that some kid just take longer and if he sleeps hard (which my son does) that could contribute. We limited liquids, made him pee right before bed, and even woke him up a few times in the night to pee. He outgrew it when he was around 10.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It takes some kids longer than others to be dry at night. My brothers and I wet the bed until were around 10-11. My nephew took a nasal spray medicaiton that helped him immensely. It was a prescription from his pediatrician.

I would think that your sister would get overnight diapers, or at least a mattress protector, when she and DS are at someone else's home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• He needs some of those new absorbent underwear so his self esteem will not be affected. If he has not seen a urologist do so. Don't take unneccesary chances. It is normal but he will outgrow it when he hits puberty If not before. At that time two things can't happen at the same time and we all know what will be happening with an adolesent boy.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Helping kids through bedwetting is a great group here at CM. A lot of the moms have older kids and great ideas
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2010