Anemia

I am anemic and breastfeeding..I am not sure if one has anything to do with the other...but I have been feeling very light headed and have some dizziness. I have trouble going to sleep at night even when they kids are sleeping. I also find myself kind of grindning my teeth and feeling constantly thirsty and to top it off getting a lot of headaches...Does anyone have any ideas or have experienced this as well?

oogiesmommy

Asked by oogiesmommy at 1:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Health

• I just remember feeling so tired all the time and extremely weak. Just walking across the floor would wear me out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Grinding teeth and trouble sleeping might be stress and worry. Breast feeding always made me very thirsty--maybe you just need to drink more water. I kept a cup of water by me at all times during those years, even by the bed at night. It may help with the headaches too. Perhaps you're getting dehydrated. Are you anemic since the birth?
    mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 1:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• If ur anemic, then ur hemoglobin count is under 12. It's a quick easy test like checking ur insulin. Bf can be stressful and feeling fatigue from anemia doesn't help. Take iron pills, eat mr greens. Look online for foods rich in iron. Also eat prunes cuz iron pills constipate u. To help w da stress go out to coffee/tea w friends. Commit to doing it once a week. Hope this helps
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• this is all really good advice, I was accually diagnosed as anemic while pregnant with my second child. I try to eat healthy as much as possible. I do have a lot of stress right now as well and I just moved back to my home town about 7 months ago and all of my old friends have their own lives. It seems like noone ever comes to visit. I dont have any friends here that have children either. Noone really makes time for me, I feel really lonely.
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• BF makes you thirsty. I always kept a glass of water next to me while BF. I understand about having friends, but none have a baby the same age as mine. I have to make a concerted effort to see people. It's hard, but then after seeing them, you're glad you did.

As for Iron, here is a good site that tells you more than you need to know about iron: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

If you're taking an iron supplement, take it with orange juice to help with absorption. Don't take it with caffeine or calcium, as these inhibit its absorption.

good luck!
    8oclockcoffee

Answer by 8oclockcoffee at 4:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You need to eat iron rich foods (like lentils and kale) with vitamin C rich foods (tomatoes, strawberries, kiwi, etc.).

There is a great listing here: www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2010