When is it going to end? When is the free handouts going to stop?

I saw on the news today that 30,000 people stood in line to get a chance at receiving Section 8 HUD in Georgia yesterday. People are asking about food stamps, welfare, etc. constantly. When is this going to end? Do they not realize our government cannot handle the demands of free handouts any longer? It's going to come to sink and swim soon enough, but what will be done about it? There are jobs out there. Everywhere you look fast food restaurants are desperately looking for employees. White Castle here alone pays starting wages better than Walmart. So, what's the deal? Then the same people turn around and complain about the illegal immigrants, who are stealing their jobs??? WTH? You cannot get an American to get off welfare long enough to go out and look for a job, but expect someone to work so you can go through the drive up and get your burger and fries? Someone help me out here... this is ridiculous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen. My husband is Laid off right now 1/1/2 YRS NOW. Being elderly, very seldom even gets a call back from a resume sent in. If nothing soon, he'll probably just retire, but doesn't want to. When he was young and out of work, he drove fruits drucks, put insolation in homse, sold flowers on a truck. He didn't like these jobs, but we ate. I had to work at one of the lowest clothes stores around to work nite shift so he could babysit. Some how some people just want it ALL and on a silver platter. Unfortunately, the platter isn't as full as it use to be. I for one do worry about the Country and The Govmnt and our future, the people out of worker not really looking don't seem to be, and they better start , things are running OUT. But the jobs they DON'T want are there, esp. for the young.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• All I can say is my ol man has 3 positions right now he hasn't been able to fill since the end of March. He hasn't even been able to get anyone to come to the interviews, with paid hotel and paid airfare, positions that pay like $82K to start. He has a 60 yr old man starting work next Monday from Puerto Rico, the man is willing to relocate his family from friggin Puerto Rico to get a job in the US and we can't get anyone from the US to show up for an interview.
    I can't wait to meet his family, I'm kinda excited for him.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• You think people that work at a white castle wont need help with housing?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i agree with you 100% there is no pride in a job well done anymore. they make too many excuses for why they can't do this or that.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sealed lip

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Where do you live?

I live in Atlanta. I see every single day how hard it is to find jobs here. I am SUPER over qualified, but still applied at Home Depot, Publix, Lowes, a few quant coffee shops, Pikes nursery, Ace hardware plus a bunch of mom & pop shops & restaurants..and that is not including the jobs i applied for online though networks like Monster & Career network & ones i have found on craigslist. The newspaper sucks, the only jobs they have in the newspaper are like truck drivers, plumbers & electricions. Hmm....maybe it's about time i go to trade school....

People will do anything when desperate. Have everything taken away from you to barely nothing, & look for work with no jobs available & tell me you won't stand in line for some financial help.

Of course i bet there is a bunch of lazy folks in that line wanting a hand out. But MANY are not. The number is so high for a reason.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Its sad when we are mad about taking care of people that don't have much. You think a job at White Castle would support a family. They are not lazy they are realistic. We are in bad shape and people need help. Instead  you feel sorry for the rich person who has to pay 3 % more on their taxes.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Everywhere you look fast food restaurants are desperately looking for employees.

Where is the rock you live under located? Fast food places around here having had openings in ages. They get hundreds of apps a week and have no openings to use them. WalMart here has had layoffs. But even if your delusions were reality and there was a single fast food job within 50 miles of here, one part time minimum wage job doesn't pay rent. If you have to go more than 10 miles it doesn't even cover the gas money. No wonder you posted anon. I'd be ashamed to have people think I was that out of touch with reality, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Guess you weren't paying attention for 8 years

***

Even fellow DEMOCRATS think Obama needs to quit blaming Bush for the current economy.  Do you think you can find another talking point to beat to death?!

"The White House's mid-term election strategy is becoming clear – pit the Democrats of 2010 against the Republicans circa 2006, 2008 and 2009, including Bush. It's a lot to ask an angry, finicky electorate to sort out. And even if Obama can rightfully make the case that the economy took a turn for the worse under Bush's watch, he's already made it - in 2008 and repeatedly in 2009. It's not clear that voters still want to hear it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37631.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Come visit Cleveland or take trip to Detroit and tell those people how you feel.... A janitor job opened up at a locale place recently.... 2000 people applied. You need to get out of your little box and see what the recession looks like for some of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2010