When do you go from having a boyfriend to SO...

What stipulates that?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• To me SO means someone you have a significant, long-standing relationship with, perhaps you even have kids with or he/she has a large part in your children's life. Usually someone you live with but not necessarily.

To me SO is really a cafe mom thing that could mean boyfriend/girlfriend or fiancee. However, when I hear people use it in real life (outside of cafe mom) it usually refers to the type of relationship I described above.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• for me it was engagement
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 1:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Everyone is different ,but each person needs to listen to there heart and you will know what the right thing to do is.
    BeckyW101

Answer by BeckyW101 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• IDK. I started calling him that when he moved in. He's not going anywhere and neither am I.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Commitment level!

A Boyfriend is someone you are dating. But once it becomes a long term fully committed relationship, it becomes SO...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• SO is purely short hand! Fiancee, Husband, Partner, they all fall in to the SO category.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's probably different for everyone but for me I would say a boyfriend is someone you date (usually exclusively) and an SO is more lke a partner in life, like when you live with them and make decisions together but you just aren't technically married.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• When I see SO, I always think live-in boyfriend. My husband is my husband, and I have never thought of him as being anything else, and I would never call him anything other than my husband. It is my honor to be his wife, and I choose to honor him by calling him my husband. To call him my significant other just wouldn't be the same to me or to him either.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Or look at it like this....a Significant Other is more "significant" than just a boyfriend lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The level of committment of the relationship. The agreements and expectations that have been set for the relationship as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2010