My baby is 5.5months. I am breastfeeding but having trouble producing. Should I supplement formula through the day?

My baby is 5.5months. I am breastfeeding but having trouble producing. Should I supplement formula through the day? I didn't want to but i want to make sure he is getting enough. He has wet diapers and seems happy but I know the milk supply is limited. My doc gave me the ok to start him on solids. I do give him min amounts rice cereal, veg & fruits. Any suggestions on a feeding schedule is also appreciated. Thanks!

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what makes you think you are having trouble producing?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• don't supplement unless you have already bf for that session, solids hold very little caloric value and are good to fill him up but you need to bf or ff to give him calories for brain function and fat
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• How do you know the supply is limited? If he is having enough wet diapers then he is eating enough especially if he is happy.

He may be getting ready to go thru a growth spurt if he is nursing more frequently.

If you supplement with formula, your supply will go down that much more.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• What gives you the feeling that your milk is not enough? If he is wetting diapers, and pooping, and happy? I would consider your milk supply fine!

If you supplement with formula your milk production will only slow down more.

I think its messing with your mind b/c you cant SEE the amount that he is getting! Trust your body and watch your baby, if he is healthy and happy, dont change anything :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Dont supplement fomula. It will decrease supply even more. Why do you think your supply is limited? Is baby having 6 wet dipers a day? Eating oatmeal will help boost supply. Nursing on demand will also help boost supply. dont need a schedual really. My 7.5 month old is ona sleep schedual & thats it.
    MelaniesMama

Answer by MelaniesMama at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Whoa!!! If he has a good 6-8 wet diapers and is happy. DO NOT SUPPLEMENT!!! He is getting plenty. I would suggest waiting until he can sit on his own and can reach for food and shows an interest...then, he can feed himself finger foods. No need to do purees. You can save time and money. Start with some soft chunks of avocado, backed sweet potato, or banana. move one from there. Then, by 12 months, he can eat whatever you eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• U can supplement with formula. Try baby peaches and bananas w/tapioca. They love them!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Oh & find a Breastfeeding group. They are amazing! Breastfeeding moms is awsome!
    MelaniesMama

Answer by MelaniesMama at 1:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• BTW, Dancer's doctor also told her you stop breastfeeding at 6 months because babies have teeth. So, her advice is null and void.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• mom2twobabes Answer by mom2twobabes 2 minutes ago :
    What gives you the feeling that your milk is not enough? If he is wetting diapers, and pooping, and happy? I would consider your milk supply fine!

i agree!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2010