What do you think of Head Start?

My husband and I can not afford a private preschool for our son, and we qualify for Head Start. A family member said that Head Start is for poor kids and that I shouldn't send my kid because he will learn all kinds of bad habits. I was rather shocked at that and am now wondering if other people think that.

So what is your opinion of Head Start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• WOW, my son went. And trust me. I worked at a daycare and saw how the "rich" kids acted. You want him around the "poor" ones. LOL Kidding aside. They are taught things and how to act. At my son's head start, they ate family style and had to have manners.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I've never heard anything bad about HS that I haven't heard about every other preschool... But HS is HARD to get in to. Here we have a 2 year+ waiting list...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i went to head start i learne so much and my teachers made sure we were all well behavied and i feel like poor or not you still get to learn you can pay out the a** and still get a bad teacher just go and look and meet the tacher and see ifyou like it i my self would love my boys to go!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 1:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Forget about the "poor kids" attitude. Sorry, that is such an ignorant comment. IMO.If you qualify; what is the the big deal? You qualify.

What is poor these days? Everybody is struggling finanically if they are an average family.

Head Start is a preschool (great for your kid). Take it, you child will thank you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My daughter went and she didn't pick up any bad habits. She spent two years with them (head start and preschool the following year at the same place, same teachers, same classmates) and is still the most polite kid ever!
    Sure, it's for poor kids or developmentally delayed kids. That doesn't mean they are full of bad habits!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Head Start is a wonderful program that gets a bad wrap. We don't live in a bad area, and there were no bad kids. It was a great experience for us. The worst part about it is that it doesn't get enough federal funding to allow for more children to attend. The one where we live allowed those above the income limit to be waitlisted, so its not just for poor kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I think Head Start is a WONDERFUL program. And its NOT just for poor kids.My son attended headstart...they are very much acedemically involved and its great. I've also worked with a Head Start Program while I was a Preschool Teacher. The teachers are not only certified but the head teachers must have a minimum of 4 years of college and training in early childhood education continuously while they are employed with the program is a requirement.
    HeadStart is better than most Preschool programs I've been involved with.
    Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• children are going to learn bad habits no matter where they go to school. Just because he will be attending school that does not cater to more well off families doesnt mean they are bad... Your child will be attending with other children at YOUR income level. Do you believe your child is a bad influence... I'm sure you said no, that is how all those other mothers at that school would respond... There is nothing wrong with headstart no matter income levels, its parenting that makes a difference not money.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Head Start is a waste of government money. Kids should learn all of that stuff at home, there's no reason for the government to pay so someone else can teach your kids manners and how to get along with other kids, that's ridiculous.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Head start is for poor kids that is the most hilarious thing I have ever hear. I think head start is the best thing you can do for you child's education. I most defiantly can't wait till my son go to head start he is talking so much I know once he go to school he well learn much more.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 12:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2010