Puberty at 8? adult content

My daughters dr. told me that she is starting to go through puberty, but she is only 8 years old! Anyone else out there having this same issue or been through it this early? I was young but not that young and i dont really know how to approach it. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

stevynjjsmoma

Asked by stevynjjsmoma at 1:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I don't think that's early... I mean, I had a full B cup by second grade (I was 7 then) and had a steady menstrual cycle by 9... I would think 8 is right on par with where she should be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It's time for the talk before she starts and is ill prepared. LOTS of girls are starting that early now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• No ideas, But I will pray you find right answers. I would have been mortified,
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much about it til she actually starts her period. I started puberty at 9-10 but didn't actually start my period til 12.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My oldest dd started growing pubic hair and breast buds at that point-not that big of a shock.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 1:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well we have already had the period talk thank god, so she understands that part. i think im more terrified then she is to be honest haha. i just thought it was a bit early for her to already be going through it. But im glad its pretty common. i started around 10 and i thought that was early.
    stevynjjsmoma

Comment by stevynjjsmoma (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I must have been a late-bloomer I didn't really hit puberty until 10-11, and I didn't have my first period until I was 14. That does seem young to me, but I think it has become more common for kids to hit puberty a bit earlier than they used to.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 1:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My friend's daughter is in about the same situation. I don't know how common it is, but it's not unheard of. FWIW, The youngest mother was 5. http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Unfortunately, it's beginning earlier and earlier. All you can do is arm yourself and her with good information. I just bought "The Care and Keeping Of You" for my granddaughter. I think it's an excellent resource. It helps that she is an avid reader and always out to learn something new.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2010